Newcastle turn down West Ham approach for key Steve Bruce man

Date published: Monday 6th January 2020 6:32

Steve Bruce Jonjo Shelvey TEAMtalk

Newcastle have reportedly turned down approaches from three Premier League rivals for Jonjo Shelvey – who is loving life under Steve Bruce.

Shelvey had been looking to leave Newcastle when Bruce arrived, but since the summer the 27-year-old has become an increasingly important member of the squad once again.

Now Shelvey is undergoing talks over a new long-term deal, as Newcastle have also rebuffed approaches for the former Liverpool man.

It is believed three rivals have approached Newcastle in the last month, including West Ham – but The Magpies have now told those looking to land Shelvey, that he is no longer available for a move.

Meanwhile, Chelsea’s bid to bring in a new striker this month is key to a series of potential transfer moves for a number of attacking stars this month, according to reports.

The Blues are on the hunt for a new hitman in January and last week saw a cheeky approach for Lyon’s Moussa Dembele fall short, prompting the Ligue 1 club to issue an angry response.

However, reports claim the Blues have since turned their attentions to Inter Milan’s unwanted frontman Gabriel Barbosa, who has smashed in 43 goals in 58 appearances during a two-year loan stint back in his homeland with Flamengo.

Inter reportedly turned down a €16m offer from the Brazilian side to make the permanent, but reports last week claimed both West Ham and Crystal Palace were considering meeting the Italian side’s €20m asking price.

However, with Chelsea also looking to bring the player to Stamford Bridge, his arrival could set the wheels in motion for a number of transfer moves for a two other strikers both looking to revive their careers over the second half of the season.

 

According to a report in the Birmingham Mail, the arrival of a new centre forward with clear the path for Olivier Giroud to leave Stamford Bridge this month.

Giroud, a long way down Frank Lampard’s pecking order at Stamford Bridge, is looking to depart the Blues in order to keep alive his hopes of making France’s Euro 2020 squad, having been given a warning by Didier Deschamps over his lack of playing time.

Both Aston Villa and Newcastle are said to be keen on the Frenchman, whom is still likely to command a pretty hefty fee despite his advancing years at 33. Read more…

Related Articles

HAVE YOUR SAY IN OUR FORUM