Newcastle have failed in an appeal to have the red card defender Fabian Schar received during Sunday’s Premier League loss to Arsenal overturned.
The Switzerland international was dismissed by referee Mike Dean for a challenge from behind on Gabriel Martinelli after coming on as a substitute late in the Gunners’ 2-0 win at St James’ Park. It was his first appearance since recovering from a knee injury suffered in February.
He will now miss Friday night’s trip to Leicester and the home games against Manchester City and Sheffield United.
A statement on the club’s official website said: “Newcastle United’s appeal against Fabian Schar’s red card, picked up during Sunday’s match against Arsenal, has been unsuccessful.
“Schar was dismissed by referee Mike Dean in the 90th minute of the game following a tackle on Gabriel Martinelli.
“An independent panel reviewed the incident following United’s appeal to the Football Association but has upheld the decision.
“The Swiss defender will miss United’s next three matches against Leicester City, Manchester City and Sheffield United.”
Newcastle star reveals exit plans
Matt Ritchie has revealed he came close to leaving Newcastle in the January transfer window, during a recent interview.
He has regularly featured for Steve Bruce‘s side in recent weeks but recently told Sky Sports that an exit from St James’ Park was very much on the cards for him. Notable interest in Ritchie included his former club Bournemouth, who were keen on bringing him back to the south coast on loan.
Tensions ran high between the Scottish international and Magpies boss Steve Bruce following Newcastle’s draw with Wolves back in February, a likely factor in him considering his future on Tyneside.
It was reported by the Daily Mail that a training ground bust-up had ensued between the two after Ritchie took issue with Bruce blaming the Newcastle players for how they conceded Wolves’ equaliser.
The 31-year-old winger had previously missed two months of football this season as a result of a shoulder injury he sustained in Newcastle’s 1-1 draw with Liverpool in October.
Ritchie opened up on the difficulties he faced at the club when he wasn’t getting picked to play.
“If I’m honest, yes, I thought my Newcastle career was over, he said.
“It was difficult, it was probably my first spell in my career where I’ve been fully fit and not involved. That was difficult mentally and physically, how to adapt and adapt my training. They’re challenges I’ve not had before.”