The Bermuda international has scored 13 goals in 26 Championship appearances so far this season, having netted seven goals in his season-long loan at the Kiyan Prince Foundation Stadium last year.
He’s in particularly good form at present, coming off the bench to score a consolation goal in Friday night’s 2-1 defeat to Sheffield Wednesday in the FA Cup, his sixth goal in his last four appearances.
The decision comes as a blow for the Hoops, but they’ve put out a statement spelling out their intention to retain the services of their top scorer.
The announcement signals something of a U-Turn from his parent club, with Sean Dyche last week suggesting he was reticent to disrupt the player.
“I don’t think we’ll interrupt him at this moment in time,” the Clarets boss said.
“It seems to be going well, and do you need to affect that? There is a break clause. We try to be as honourable as we can, and honour the contract if we say it’s for a season. But there’s always a break clause, to suit both teams, and the player.
“He is going along nicely, we keep tabs on him and know what he is doing. I know Mark Warburton well and he is very pleased with him.
With Chris Wood, Ashley Barnes and Jay Rodriguez regularly featuring at Turf Moor, and Matej Vydra on the books and struggling for minutes, it appears unlikely that they’ll look to actually reintegrate Wells back in the squad.
💙 Whatever the future holds.
— QPR FC (@QPR) January 27, 2020
However, they could face competition to sign him on a permanent deal, with QPR expressing their attention to get him back in. Hoops CEO Lee Hoys says the club are keen.
“It is important our fans know we are keen to sign Nahki permanently,” read a club statement.
“We are working hard for a positive conclusion but we must ensure any conclusion is financially viable for QPR.”