Cutrone’s comments unlikely to see him return to Wolves

Date published: Tuesday 28th January 2020 4:15

Patrick Cutrone has pointed the finger of blame at Wolves boss Nuno Espirito Santo for his failure in England.

The Italian forward signed for Wolves for £16million from AC Milan, but he left for Fiorentina on an 18-month earlier this month and his return to Molineux looks unlikely.

The 22-year-old started just nine games for Wolves, scoring three goals in 24 appearances in all competitions, but he decided to return to Italy on loan, although there is a permanent option in the deal.

Cutrone struggled to displace attackers Raul Jimenez and Diogo Jota and  in October Nuno admitted Cutrone was struggling.

“He’s integrating into the dynamic of the team,” said Nuno. “It’s not easy to be already where we expect him to be. It takes time but the best thing is he’s on to it, he wants it, he works hard. We’re expecting good things from him.”

Cutrone, who has started three times for Viola, thinks he was held back at Molineux by Nuno’s reliance on Jimenez and Jota,

Cutrone said: “I went to Wolverhampton with a lot of enthusiasm.

“The fans loved me, they dedicated a chant to me. After all, I scored three goals in the few minutes I played.

“But I had a coach that preferred to focus on the ones who had been loyal to him.”

Earlier this month Nuno admitted Cutrone’s situation was a huge blow.

“It is disappointing for us, with the whole situation,” said the Wolves boss.

“When you bring a player and things don’t immediately work out, you have to think what happened, why and how it could be different, all of these things.

“Now is the moment for us to analyse, but more importantly that we wish Patrick all the best. Hopefully he can play some game time, which is important for his development.”

 

Related Articles

HAVE YOUR SAY IN OUR FORUM