Orient winning start ended, Newport Butcher-ed

Date published: Saturday 5th September 2015 5:36 - James Marshment

Leyton Orient’s winning start to the season came to an abrupt end as two goals from Tom Nichols inspired Exeter to a 4-0 win, while Terry Butcher’s Newport remain pointless.

Ian Hendon’s side, who had won all five of their previous games in the league this season, conceded a two-goal lead in the first half, with Tom Nichols opening the scoring from the spot in the opening minutes.

Alex Nicholls then doubled the lead before half-time with a precise finish from the edge of the area to give Paul Tisdale’s side a two-goal cushion.

Nichols popped up with a second penalty in the second half before David Wheeler completed a comprehensive win.

Newport’s miserable campaign continued as they were comfortably beaten 3-0 at home to York, with James Berrett, Reece Thompson and Michael Gash on the scoresheet.

The result leaves Terry Butcher’s side with just a solitary point from their opening six games while York recorded their second win of the campaign.

Two goals from Derek Asamoah helped Carlisle overcome Barnet 3-2. Tom Miller gave the Cumbrians an early lead before Bira Dembele and Michael Gash made it all square at the break after Asamoah netted his first and the striker added a second to wrap up the points.

Dagenham & Redbridge won their first game of the season, coming from behind to beat Northampton 2-1.

Marc Richards opened the scoring with his fifth of the season but a Matt McClure double before the break was enough for Daggers to break their duck.

Ronnie Moore’s Hartlepool suffered back-to-back defeats in the league after a Michael Harriman double gave Wycombe a 2-1 win despite Carl Magnay’s strike at the end of the first half.

That result moves the Chairboys second in the league, overtaking Plymouth who lost 2-1 to Teddy Sheringham’s Stevenage.

Connor Ogilvie and Chris Whelpdale gave Stevenage a two-goal lead before Craig Tanner pulled one back after the break.

Luton, on the back of a three-game losing streak, beat Cambridge 3-1 thanks to two second-half goals.

Luke Guttridge scored first for the Hatters before Leon Legge equalised. However, Harrison Dunk was sent off and that proved crucial as Luke Wilkinson and Danny Green then made it a comfortable win for John Still’s men.

Morecambe came from two goals down to beat Yeovil, who had Shaun Jeffers sent off in the first half.

Harry Cornick and Omar Sowumni gave the Glovers a two-goal lead before Aaron Wildig and Andrew Fleming added two quick goals after the break. Late goals from Lee Molyneux and Kevin Ellison wrapped up the points with a 4-2 victory.

Portsmouth and Accrington played out a goalless draw at Fratton Park, while there were goals for Chris Clements and Tom Elliott as Mansfield and AFC Wimbledon drew 1-1.

Related Articles