David Luiz was not Arsenal’s first-choice centre-back signing, Real Madrid face a scramble to sign a new goalkeeper and Manchester United have turned down the chance to sign a striker on a free transfer, all in the papers.
ARSENAL CHASED DEFENSIVE DUO IN AUGUST
Arsenal’s decision to sign David Luiz this summer was forced on them by the nature of the summer’s transfer market, according to a report.
Eventually, the Gunners signed 32-year-old Luiz this summer for London rivals Chelsea on a two-year deal, and they had in fact tried to land the Brazilian in January.
The Telegraph reports that Arsenal’s approach for Luiz, which was hush, hush, was turned down, but they returned with an offer this month and Luiz agreed to make the transfer with Frank Lampard’s approval.
Arsenal though, who signed 18-year-old centre-half William Saliba before loaning him straight back to St Etienne, were after a younger centre-back and made two approaches, claims the report.
Arsenal looked to sign RB Leipzig’s Dayot Upamecano and Juventus’ Daniele Rugani, says the report.
Arsenal’s head of football Raul Sanllehi made an enquiry at the start of the window for Upamecano but were put off by the huge asking price, while they were also quoted huge money for Juventus’ Daniele Rugani.
Instead, Arsenal decided to break away from their strategy of bringing in young players who had potential and ended up landing Luiz from Chelsea for a cut-rate £8million on deadline day.
AND THE REST
Keylor Navas is nearing a switch to Paris Saint-Germain (Marca)
Manchester United target Ivan Rakitic will not be leaving Barcelona this summer (Marca)
Sunderland are close to being taken over by American investors Glenn Fuhrman, John Phelan and Robert Platek. (The Times)
Paris Saint-Germain are considering an approach for Juventus’ Paulo Dybala should they lose Neymar this summer (Tuttosport)
Fernandinho is in no rush to sign a new deal at Manchester City (The Sun)
Real Madrid are considering late transfer swoops for former Liverpool goalkeeper Pepe Reina, as they attempt to replace Keylor Navas. (Daily Mirror)
AC Milan defender Diego Laxalt is mulling over a contract offer from Atalanta (Gianluca Di Marzio)
Bayer Leverkusen’s pursuit of Dejan Lovren has hit a stumbling block due to the Liverpool defender’s eye-watering wage demands. (Daily Mirror)
Atletico Madrid are set to round off a busy summer transfer window with the signing of Valencia forward Rodrigo (Marca)
Bournemouth winger Jordon Ibe has poured cold water on rumours that he will join Celtic before the Scottish transfer window closes next month. (Daily Mirror)
Brighton boss Graham Potter has told winger Alireza Jahanbakhsh he does not want him to leave. (Daily Mirror)
Manchester United are close to agreeing a deal to sign former Tottenham and Spain forward Fernando Llorente, 34. (Gazzetta dello Sport)
Manchester United are unlikely to make an offer for former Tottenham striker Fernando Llorente despite reports in Italy suggesting a deal is close. (Daily Mail)
Humble Mamadou Sakho has been putting in overtime in his bid to regain fitness – in a low-cost South London gym. (Daily Mail)
Manchester United are facing a £12m bill for Alexis Sanchez’s wages this season – even if the Chile forward, 30, moves on loan to Inter Milan before next week’s European transfer deadline. (ESPN)
Sanchez missed training on Thursday to make a trip to the US Embassy in London. (Sun)
Manchester United boss Ole Gunnar Solskjaer will be able to use the £75m raised from the sale of Belgian forward Romelu Lukaku in January. Lukaku, 26, joined Inter Milan earlier this month. (Talksport)
Chelsea’s Argentina keeper Willy Caballero, 37, is wanted by Real Madrid. (Marca)
Brentford have signed Greek international striker Nikos Karelis on a one-year contract.
Leicester City’s Portuguese midfielder Adrien Silva, 30, has flown to Monaco for a medical on Friday. Silva will sign on loan for the season. (Daily Telegraph)
A delegation from Real Madrid are in France to negotiate the transfer of Brazil forward Neymar, 27, from Paris St-Germain. (Marca)
West Ham’s Argentine forward Manuel Lanzini, 26, says he wants to extend his stay with the Hammers and is in talks about a new contact. Lanzini’s current deal expires next summer. (Sky Sports)
Belgium forward Christian Benteke, 28, and English defender James Tomkins, 30, are in negotiations over extending their contracts at Crystal Palace. (Guardian)
Barcelona have rejected an offer from Inter Milan to sign Chile international midfielder Arturo Vidal, 32, on loan. (Mundo Deportivo)
Lille are confident of signing Portugal midfielder Renato Sanches, 22, from Bayern Munich. (L’Equipe)
Chelsea’s Brazilian winger Kenedy, 23, is exploring options to leave permanently before the European transfer deadline. (Goal)
Fenerbahce have distanced themselves with a move for Manchester United and Argentina defender Marcos Rojo, 29. (Star)
Liverpool are reportedly on the verge of agreeing a new kit deal with Nike. (Star)