Arsenal are poised to make a £11.9million bid for Marcelo Brozovic, a £1billion battle is brewing between Manchester United and Manchester City over Neymar and Lionel Messi, while Chelsea are keen to sign Marco Verratti, according to reports in Wednesday’s papers.
ARSENAL TO MOVE FOR BROZOVIC
Arsenal are poised to sign Inter Milan midfielder Marcelo Brozovic in the January transfer window.
The Daily Telegraph, citing reports in the Italian media, claim Arsenal are ready to do business to land the 23-year-old next month and are preparing an £11.9m bid for him.
Brozovic was linked with a switch to north London last year but ended up joining Inter during the window last January following a switch from Dinamo Zagreb.
However, Arsenal have been following his progress since his move and have been impressed by the way he has settled into life at Italy.
Chelsea are also interested in the midfielder but their current situation and difficulties in the Premier League plus the continued speculation over Jose Mourinho’s future means the player is leaning towards a switch to the Emirates.
CHELSEA TO MAKE VERRATTI BID
Chelsea have reportedly made an offer for Paris Saint-Germain midfielder Marco Verratti.
Several morning papers claim the Blues, who are languishing 16th in the Premier League, believe the arrival of Verratti can give the club the lift they need.
Jose Mourinho is desperate to add new faces to help turn around his side’s fortunes.
And according to Spanish outlet Mundo Deportivo, midfield ace Verratti has been offered the chance to join the club.
Chelsea duo Cesc Fabregas and Oscar have struggled to match their form from last season when Mourinho’s side claimed a domestic double of Premier League title and Capital One Cup.
The arrival of Italy international Verratti would give a boost to the Blues in the centre of the park.
The player is also being tracked by Arsenal and Barcelona, according to reports.
The Daily Star, however, has a very different view on Mourinho and claim he will not be given funds to bring in new players in January as Roman Abramovich decides whether to sack him or not.
AND THE REST
– Manchester United and Manchester City are locked in a £1billion battle to sign Barcelona duo Lionel Messi and Neymar (The Sun)
– Leicester forward Riyad Mahrez, 24, says he is staying at the Foxes until the end of the season despite being linked with Arsenal and Tottenham (RMC)
– Southampton want England winger Andros Townsend, 24, who turned out for Tottenham’s Under-21s on Monday (The Sun)
– Liverpool have agreed a £4.3m deal to sign Red Star Belgrade winger Marko Grujic (various)
– Watford are hopeful of signing Roma’s £15m-rated winger Juan Iturbe in January, most likely on loan with a view to a permanent move (Daily Mail)
– Jurgen Klopp has the financial backing of Liverpool owners Fenway Sports Group to spend in January (Daily Express)
– Aston Villa will consider offers for club captain Gabriel Agbonlahor, 29, as the forward has fallen out of favour with manager Remi Garde (The Times)
– Roman Abramovich will have to fork out £40m if he wants to remove Jose Mourinho as Chelsea manager. Abramovich is set to talk about the Portuguese’s future with his management team on Wednesday (Daily Mail)
– Man United are plotting a quick return for striker James Wilson who is currently on loan with Championship high-fliers Brighton (Daily Express)
– Tottenham have made another check on Marseille striker Michy Batshuayl, who has scored 11 goals in 18 appearances this season, but a price tag of £30m could put them off a move (Daily Mail)