Chelsea are interested in signing Southampton striker Graziano Pelle, while Everton have bid for Juan Mata, according to today’s papers.
CONTE WANTS PELLE REUNION
Graziano Pelle may have been one of the four Italy players to miss a penalty in the defeat to Germany, but departing Azzurri boss Antonio Conte wants to be reunited with the striker once he takes over as Chelsea manager.
On Sunday night the Blues confirmed the signing of Marseille striker Michy Batshuayi, but remain in the hunt for another frontman with doubts over the futures of Diego Costa and Loic Remy, as well as the departures of loan signings Falcao and Alexandre Pato.
And according to the Daily Telegraph, Southampton are willing to let Pelle leave the club for a fee “between £10million and £20million”, while there is plenty of interest in the 30-year-old from clubs in Serie A and the Chinese Super League.
Pelle had been a key figure at St Mary’s under Ronald Koeman, netting 30 times over the past two seasons, but Saints have no current plans to offer the forward, who has 12 months remaining on his contract, a new deal.
Charlie Austin was signed from QPR in January as Pelle’s long-term replacement and the club are set to reinvest the funds from Sadio Mane’s sale to Liverpool.
EVERTON TO MAKE MATA MOVE
Everton have emerged as contenders to sign Juan Mata from Manchester United as Jose Mourinho remains unconvinced about the attacking midfielder.
Mourinho sold Mata to United during his second spell as Chelsea boss, despite the Spaniard being the club’s reigning Player of the Year at the time.
And the Portuguese’s belief that the 28-year-old is too slow has not wavered since taking over at Old Trafford.
The imminent arrival of Henrikh Mkhitaryan from Borussia Dortmund will push Mata further down the pecking order, and according to the Daily Telegraph, Ronald Koeman hopes he can persuade the diminutive star to move to Goodison Park.
Everton face competition for Mata, who played under Koeman during his first season as a Valencia player, and are understood to have tabled an offer of around £20million.
AND THE REST
– Everton are preparing for showdown talks with Romelu Lukaku and insist the striker will not be allowed to leave the club this summer (Daily Express)
– However the Toffees will allow John Stones to join Manchester City for a fee of £50million (Daily Express)
– Former Chelsea interim boss Guus Hiddink is interested in the England job and wants to hold talks with the FA (The Times)
– West Ham and Crystal Palace are interested in former Arsenal and Manchester United striker Robin van Persie, who could leave Fenerbahce in a £4million deal (Daily Telegraph)
– New Southampton manager Claude Puel is eyeing a £12.5million move for Lille defender Djibril Sidibe (Daily Mirror)