Chelsea want to sign Gonzalo Higuain to replace Diego Costa, Manchester United are tracking four wingers, while Marco Reus is keen to join Liverpool, claim Tuesday’s papers.
CHELSEA TO REPLACE COSTA WITH HIGUAIN
Chelsea are keen to sign Gonzalo Higuain as they bid to replace goal-shy striker Diego Costa.
According to the Daily Mirror, under-pressure Blues manager Jose Mourinho will turn to the Argentinian striker to replace the under-fire Costa, who has been one of the biggest disappointments in the champions’ dismal season.
Our Monday Review labelled Costa Chelsea’s ‘biggest problem’ this season – and it seems Mourinho has also had enough of the Brazi-born striker, who has registered just two Premier League goals.
That has alerted Chelsea’s scouts who are desperately trying to find a new striker for January, especially with Radamel Falcao injured and struggling for form.
Higuain, who played in last year’s World Cup final, has interested Chelsea in the past and they are keeping tabs as a big-money bid may tempt Napoli to sell the ex-Real Madrid star.
The Daily Express, meanwhile, claims Chelsea have identified Javier Hernandez and Paco Alcacer as possible transfer targets.
FOUR WINGERS UNDER CONSIDERATION FOR UNITED
Louis van Gaal’s admission that Manchester United want to add a winger to their squad in January has seen the club once again linked with three of their long-term targets, with another new name thrown in for good measure.
Lazio’s Felipe Anderson, Sadio Mane at Southampton and Riyad Mahrez at Leicester – all linked with United at various points since the summer – are the usual names in the frame, while Anwar El Ghazi of Ajax, has emerged as the latest ‘target’, according to the Daily Mail.
The Daily Telegraph, meanwhile, claims Manchester United are interested in signing Newcastle United striker Ayoze Perez and could bid for the Spaniard in January.
LIVERPOOL ‘HOT FAVOURITES’ TO SIGN REUS
Liverpool are the ‘hot favourites’ to sign Borussia Dortmund star Marco Reus, according to reports in the Daily Express.
The Borussia Dortmund midfielder was on Manchester United’s radar in the summer along with the Merseyside outfit, however both failed to step up their interest.
But it’s reported that Reus would favour a move to Anfield following the appointment of Jurgen Klopp at Liverpool – and that’d despite the new Anfield chief’s insistence that he won’t raid former club Borussia Dortmund for any of their star players.
AND THE REST
– Steve McClaren is ready to launch a January move for Andy Carroll and rescue the former Newcastle striker from two injury-ravaged years at West Ham (Daily Mirror)
– PSG remain keen to appoint Arsene Wenger as coach, but the Arsenal boss insists the Gunners would have to sack him first (Daily Mirror)
– Arsenal lead the transfer chase for Dean Windass’ Accrington starlet son Josh with Brighton, Fulham, Hull and Portsmouth also tracking the 21-year-old (Daily Mirror)
– Cristiano Ronaldo has backed Manchester United to win the Premier League title as his agent ruled out an Old Trafford return for the Real Madrid star (The Sun)
– Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink is in the frame for BOTH the QPR and Fulham jobs (The Sun)
– Arsene Wenger has received a glimmer of hope in the long-running battle to sign Real Madrid winger Jese Rodriguez, but has suffered a knockout blow in his pursuit of Napoli forward Gonzalo Higuain (Daly Star)
– Bournemouth are plotting a January raid for QPR striker Charlie Austin after confirming an American billionaire has bought a 25 per cent stake in the club (Daily Star)
– Former Liverpool boss Brendan Rodgers has been linked with Fulham, QPR and Charlton after he was spotted in London on Monday dressed in a suit and a tie (Daily Mail)
– Galatasaray are keen on signing Arsenal winger Joel Campbell in January (Daily Express)
– Sunderland boss Sam Allardyce has been given the green light to sign two defenders in bid to avoid the drop (Daily Express)
– Tony Fernandes and his fellow Queens Park Rangers owners have written off the £180m loans they made to the club in the years since taking over, but not as a precursor to selling the club, according to club sources (The Guardian)
– Chelsea, Liverpool and Manchester United are among clubs monitoring the progress of the Denmark Under-19s striker Emre Mor who is expected to leave Danish Superliga club Nordsjaelland in January (The Guardian)
Discuss these transfer rumours on the Your Say forums.