Paper Talk: Man Utd ready £50m bid on Erling Haaland back-up

Date published: Tuesday 31st December 2019 8:27

Manchester United are set to offer £50m for the striker now at the top of their wish list, while Chelsea have asked about a January deal for a prolific frontman, according to the New Year’s Eve papers.

 

CALVERT-LEWIN NOW AT TOP OF MAN UTD WANTED LIST

Dominic Calvert-Lewin has risen to the top of Manchester United’s summer transfer list after they missed out on Erling Haaland, according to reports on New Year’s Eve.

United were left disappointed on Sunday when it was announced that Norwegian teenager Haaland had opted to join Borussia Dortmund in a bargain deal – leaving Ole Gunnar Solskjaer and Co to turn their attentions to other targets.

The Sun reports that Everton man Calvert-Lewin was on United’s radar as a back-up to Haaland – but has now risen to first choice after they missed out on the departing RB Salzburg man.

As per the report, United had taken an interest in Calvert-Lewin prior to the rich vein of form he has enjoyed since Carlo Ancelotti took charge. The former Sheffield United – a bargain £1.5m signing back in 2016 – has netted all three Everton goals since the Italian was named as the permanent successor to Marco Silva.

And it’s claimed United are willing to offer Everton £50m to sell Calvert-Lewin to them, with the 22-year-old having all the attributes Solskjaer wants to bring to his attack.

 

The Toffees are unlikely to bend over and allow Calvert-Lewin to leave without a fight, however, with Ancelotti already fulsome in his praise for his young forward.

“He is a fantastic striker in my opinion – fantastic with the head, clever in the box, and sharp,” the former Napoli boss said after the win at Newcastle over the weekend.

“But he’s young and for this reason he has to improve. He is a humble guy and he doesn’t talk a lot.

“I think he is going to be at the top in England and in Europe. He has all the qualities to be a top striker.”

On Monday it was also claimed United would go all in for a £100m attacker following Dortmund’s capture of Haaland.

 

AND THE REST

Chelsea have attempted to make checks on whether or not RB Leipzig forward Timo Werner has a release clause that could be activated in January (Daily Telegraph)

Mikel Arteta is facing a huge battle to try to convince Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang to stay at Arsenal past the end of this season with doubts growing over his long-term future (Daily Telegraph)

Jurgen Klopp wants Adam Lallana to sign a one-year contract extension to avoid losing him on a free transfer, but the Liverpool manager is resigned to losing the midfielder at the end of the season (Daily Telegraph)

Agent Mino Raiola has refuted claims that Manchester United withdrew from the race to sign Erling Haaland (Daily Telegraph)

Watford manager Nigel Pearson will try to sign midfielder Andy King on loan from former club Leicester in January after his spell at Rangers was cancelled (Daily Telegraph)

 

Paul Pogba will not leave Manchester United in the January transfer window, according to his agent Mino Raiola (Daily Mirror)

Ex-Barcelona star Xavi claims Pep Guardiola will now prioritise winning the Champions League with Manchester City so far behind in the Premier League title race (Daily Mirror)

Newcastle will let Ki Sung-Yueng and Yoshinori Muto leave in January to make room for new signings with Jarrod Bowen top of Steve Bruce’s shopping list (Daily Mirror)

Liverpool are in talks with Sevilla about 26-year-old defender Diego Carlos, who has a £65m release clause and is viewed as a long-term partner for Virgil van Dijk (Daily Mirror)

Newcastle are interested in Rangers striker Alfredo Morelos and have told Jack Colback and Henri Saivet they are free to leave – the club will also listen to offers for Dwight Gayle but are not expected to let him leave on loan (Daily Express)

Real Madrid have been urged to splash out £170m to sign Tottenham striker Harry Kane by club legend Hugo Sanchez (The Sun)

Michael O’Neill is keen on bringing Northern Ireland midfielder Jordan Thompson to Stoke but the Potters will face competition for the Blackpool star’s signature (The Sun)

Manchester United fear they could be without Scott McTominay for up to eight weeks after scans confirmed injured knee ligaments (Daily Mail)

Arsenal will provide new boss Mikel Arteta with funds in next month’s transfer window with RB Leipzig defender Dayot Upamecano high on their list (Daily Mail)

Dayot Upamecano TEAMtalk

The Premier League have no plans to alter the way VAR adjudicates marginal offside decisions this season (Daily Mail)

Ex-referee Mark Clattenburg has outlined a five-point plan to improve the Premier League’s VAR (Daily Mail)

Southend boss Sol Campbell hopes to bring in Macclesfield midfielder Emmanuel Osadebe to give a much-needed boost to his relegation-haunted squad (Daily Mail)

Norwich, Everton and QPR are among the sides monitoring Dundee United striker Lawrence Shankland (Scottish Sun)

 

Related Articles

HAVE YOUR SAY IN OUR FORUM