Paper Talk: Man Utd blocked in £100m bid for World Cup winner

Date published: Friday 10th August 2018 8:33

Manchester United were willing to spend big on Raphael Varane, while Danny Rose could still leave Spurs on loan this month, all in Friday’s papers.

 

MAN UTD WANTED £100M VARANE

Manchester United were prepared to back manager Jose Mourinho with a £100million bid for a world-class defender this summer, according to reports.

Both ESPN and The Sun claim Ed Woodward and the United board had laid out a huge fee for Mourinho to get France and Real Madrid centre-back Raphael Varane.

ESPN even claim “Woodward and Real Madrid president Florentino Perez met in Miami last month but negotiations for the French World Cup winner never got off the ground”.

A deal for the classy 25-year-old would have eclipsed the world-record £75million Liverpool paid for Virgil van Dijk in January.

Instead United looked at Harry Maguire, Jerome Boateng, Yerry Mina and Diego Godin but did not manage to get anywhere near a deal, leaving Mourinho with the central defenders he had last season.

 

AND THE REST

Manchester United’s board told Jose Mourinho he should stop demanding money for new signings and focus on working with the talent at his disposal and develop youth players instead. (Mirror)

Jose Mourinho believes Paul Pogba’s agent Mino Raiola has been damaging the club by offering the 25-year-old France midfielder to Barcelona and Juventus. (Times)

Chelsea fear Eden Hazard could still join Real Madrid with the La Liga transfer window open until August 31. (Daily Express)

Liverpool could conduct transfer business in January with Nabil Fekir, Domagoj Vida and Christian Pulisic all potential targets. (Daily Express)

Manchester United could sign Toby Alderwiereld, Willian and even Zlatan Ibrahimovic when the transfer window reopens in January.  (Daily Express)

Man Utd turned down the opportunity to sign Leicester and England centre-back Harry Maguire, 25, for £15m last summer. (Telegraph)

As part of the deal that took 23-year-old Colombia defender Yerry Mina from Barcelona to Everton, the Spanish club has an option to buy him back for £53.9m. (Marca)

Everton will have to wait until Friday morning before finding out if they have been successful with a loan move for Chelsea’s 23-year-old French defender Kurt Zouma. (Liverpool Echo)

Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp says he has no problem with 24-year-old Germany midfielder Emre Can’s decision to reject a new contract and leave the club on a free transfer to Juventus. (Liverpool Echo)

Paul Pogba is ‘happy’ to be back at Manchester United, says Jose Mourinho. (Independent)

Fabinho is facing a fight to be fit for Liverpool’s Premier League opener against West Ham on Sunday. (Daily Star)

Brendan Rodgers has told Celtic chiefs to back him in the transfer market or he’ll quit. (Daily Record)

Jack Grealish is staying at Aston Villa and will be rewarded with a new deal which will make him the highest paid player at the club. (Daily Star)

Danny Rose England

Tottenham’s 28-year-old left-back Danny Rose is keen to move on loan to Paris St-Germain. (Sun)

Spurs boss Mauricio Pochettino has blamed Brexit and the club’s new stadium for their lack of signings this summer. (Sky Sports)

After a deal taking Juventus’ Italian forward Stefano Sturaro to Watford fell through, Sporting Lisbon are set to sign the 25-year-old instead. (A Bola)

Real Madrid’s 26-year-old Belgium keeper Thibaut Courtois deleted a Facebook post saying goodbye to Chelsea fans after receiving abusive comments in reply. (Daily Mail)

Jack Grealish TEAMtalk

Aston Villa’s 22-year-old attacking midfielder Jack Grealish is set to sign a new contract that could contain a clause allowing him to leave if the club fails to win promotion this season. (Daily Star)

Burnley boss Sean Dyche says this summer’s transfer window has been the worst he’s ever experienced. (Lancashire Telegraph)

A deal taking Manchester United’s 29-year-old Argentina defender Marcos Rojo to Everton collapsed over the Old Trafford club’s failure to sign a replacement. (Daily Mail)

Manchester United’s Chile forward Alexis Sanchez, 29, says he would have liked the club to have signed more “world-class players” during the transfer window. (ESPN)

Middlesbrough’s £6m deal for Everton’s 25-year-old midfielder Muhamed Besic fell through over agents’ fees, but the Teesside club is optimistic of securing a loan move for the Bosnian. Boro also hope to sign 29-year-old Congo winger Yannick Bolasie on loan from the Toffees. (Northern Echo)

Boro also had bids for Millwall midfielders Jed Wallace, 24, and George Saville, 25, rejected on transfer deadline day. (Sky Sports)

 

Related Articles

HAVE YOUR SAY IN OUR FORUM