Paper Talk: Man Utd’s £20m starlet bid brushed off

Date published: Saturday 1st February 2020 9:40

Manchester United had a deadline-day bid rejected for an English starlet, while Tottenham were close to sealing Gareth Bale’s return – all in Saturday’s newspapers.

 

MAN UTD HAD BELLINGHAM BID BRUSHED OFF

Manchester United had a £20m bid rebuffed on deadline day by Birmingham City for youngster Jude Bellingham, according to reports.

United had been linked with a move for the 16-year-old throughout the January transfer window, with various reports suggesting that approaches had been made.

According to ESPN (via the Daily Mail), however, the Red Devils made another proposal on Friday that amounted to £20m.

The bid was made up of £8.5m up front, with a series of add-ons taking the deal to its final sum.

However, Birmingham reportedly swept away the offer and demanded more from interested clubs, with United eventually deciding not to go back in for the Englishman.

Arsenal and Borussia Dortmund are two of the other clubs said to hold an interest in Bellingham, who has scored four goals in 25 Championship appearances so far this season.

 

AND THE REST

Tottenham were growing increasingly confident towards the end of Friday evening of securing a sensational move to bring Gareth Bale back to North London (The Times)

Manchester United midfielder Paul Pogba is top of Juventus’ wish list as they plan their approach for the summer transfer window (The Mirror)

Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp has dismissed the chance of Mohamed Salah leaving the club in the summer (Liverpool Echo)

Tottenham failed in a late bid to sign Eran Zahavi, the Chinese Super League’s top scorer (The Telegraph)

Jose Mourinho says Tottenham chairman Daniel Levy did a “fantastic” job by ratifying the sale of Christian Eriksen to Inter Milan (Evening Standard)

 

Jadon Sancho has been handed a warning over testing the waters with his conduct at Borussia Dortmund, amid continued links with a move to the Premier League (The Mirror)

Celtic pulled out of the chance to sign Tottenham’s Victor Wanyama on deadline day after learning about the midfielder’s excessive wage demands (Daily Mail)

Manchester City boss Pep Guardiola has revealed that Leroy Sane is yet to respond to a new contract offer from the club (The Guardian)

Hull City agreed a £1.5m deal with Motherwell to sign forward James Scott, to cover for the departure of Jarrod Bowen to West Ham United (Daily Mail)

West Brom full-back Nathan Ferguson was unable to complete his deadline day move to Crystal Palace after complications following his medical, although the clubs are hoping to complete the transfer in the summer (The Telegraph)

 

Toffees boss Carlo Ancelotti has told Barcelona that they are wasting their time if they are considering an improved bid for Richarlison, after an £85m bid for the Brazilian was rejected (Daily Star)

Spurs youngster Troy Parrott missed out on a loan move away from North London due to UEFA rules about club-trained players (The Telegraph)

Everton were keen to offload striker Oumar Niasse on deadline day but failed to find a suitor for his services (The Mirror)

Rangers boss Steven Gerrard had sounded out Livingston’s Lyondon Dykes if a loan move for Flo Kamberi fell through (Scottish Sun)

Related Articles

HAVE YOUR SAY IN OUR FORUM