Manchester United are growing increasingly confident of a £90m double transfer raid in the January window, while Heung-min Son has revealed just how close he came to leaving Tottenham – all in Wednesday’s newspapers.
MAN UTD TO BRING IN DUO IN JANUARY WINDOW
Manchester United are ready to splash £90m on Sean Longstaff and Moussa Dembele in January, according to a report.
The Daily Star reckons United are growing increasingly confident of bringing in the duo when the winter window opens and helping to arrest a slide that threatens to kibosh their top-four hopes.
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has been told he will have significant funds to strengthen his squad in January – and the United boss admitted earlier in the week that signing a new striker would be a priority.
As per the report, Solskjaer has set his sights on Lyon frontman Dembele and it’s believed a deal worth around £50m will be struck for the former Celtic and Fulham marksman, who has scored six in eight so far this season.
Solskjaer has Juventus striker Mario Mandzukic as a Plan B, but is’s claimed Dembele remains his first choice and the club believes an offer of £50m will be enough to persuade Lyon to sell.
United also want to add some steel to their midfield and Longstaff was another on their shopping list over the summer.
But the Star claims a deal of around £40m will be sanctioned in January, with United executive vice-chairman Ed Woodward said to be increasingly confident that Newcastle will sell their young star.
It’s claimed United also want Declan Rice from West Ham, but the £80m asking price is said to be too high and they will instead target Longstaff with the midfielder -rated as a future England international by Red Devils scouts – set to swap Newcastle for Old Trafford.
Get the latest personalised Red Devils products on our new TEAMtalk Man Utd shop!
AND THE REST
Heung-min Son has opened up on how he wanted to quit Spurs after a nightmare start but boss Mauricio Pochettino convinced him to stay and become the team’s star man (The Sun)
Chelsea have been handed a huge boost ahead of their Champions League trip to Lille on Wednesday as they welcomed back N’Golo Kante, Olivier Giroud and Kurt Zouma from injury (The Sun)
Diego Costa has reportedly emerged as a shock transfer target for Qatar side Al Rayyan but Atletico Madrid are desperate to keep the star until the summer (The Sun)
Manchester United target Gianluigi Donnarumma has reportedly rejected a new £5.3m-a-year deal with AC Milan (The Sun)
Jamaal Lascelles escaped with just a ticking off from Steve Bruce after his unauthorised London visit (The Sun)
Raheem Sterling wants Phil Foden in the England team with him – but Pep Guardiola claims he must wait for his Manchester City chance (Daily Mirror)
Former Lyon coach Bruno Genesio has claimed he was set to become Newcastle United boss in the summer instead of Steve Bruce if the club had been taken over by a consortium led by Peter Kenyon (Daily Mirror)
Manchester United have targeted Celtic and Scotland physio Tim Williamson as Ole Gunnar Solskjaer continues to reshuffle his backroom team (Daily Mail)
Arsenal are open to loaning Mesut Ozil in January but fear they will be unable to offload their top-earner (Daily Mail)
Rio Ferdinand has suggested Tottenham and England striker Harry Kane should leave Spurs if he wants to win the biggest trophies (Daily Mail)
Antoine Griezmann has confessed he has found it ‘difficult’ to form a relationship with Lionel Messi as the pair rarely talk (Daily Mail)
Massimiliano Allegri has been learning English as he is targeting a job in the Premier League, especially the Manchester United job should Ole Gunnar Solskjaer be sacked (The Guardian)
Barcelona are to hold a meeting between the players and the board to discuss their failure to sign Neymar as it’s understood several players are unhappy that the club didn’t manage to recapture the Brazilian superstar over the summer (Daily Star)
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer is considering leaving Paul Pogba out of the Manchester United squad to face AZ Alkmaar after he aggravated his ankle injury during the 1-1 draw with Arsenal on Monday (The Times)
The Football League board will decide today on the sanction that Liverpool will face for fielding an ineligible player in the Carabao Cup (The Times)
Former Juventus midfielder Claudio Marchisio will make an announcement on his future this week, having been linked with Rangers over the summer (Daily Record)