Manchester United are likely to miss out on two primary transfer targets in summer 2020, while Liverpool are set to be pipped to the post over a long-term striker target, according to Monday’s newspapers.
UNITED SET TO MISS OUT ON JADON SANCHO
Real Madrid are set to step up their hunt to sign Jadon Sancho from Borussia Dortmund – and bring an end to Manchester United’s hopes of signing the teenage winger.
United have long been keen on the 19-year-old winger and were thought to have been pole position to land Sancho should Dortmund ever cash in. And those hopes had been given a lift in recent weeks after the club’s sporting director Michael Zorc gave the Red Devils some incentive over a potential summer move.
However, the Daily Mail, citing reports in the Spanish media, claim a move to the Bernabeu now looks far more likely for Sancho and it’s claimed Los Blancos are ready to step up their hunt to sign the star in a blockbuster deal. It’s reported that Dortmund will set a price of £120m for Sancho – and that is a fee Real are willing to pay as it’s thought they see the young Englishman as a future Ballon d’Or winner.
Furthermore, Sancho is likely to reject the chance to join Manchester United anyway due to their lack of Champions League football – leaving what would appear to be a free run at the player for Real Madrid.
Reports of Real’s growing interest in the player will come as a major blow for Solskjaer, who had earmarked the former Man City youngster as a prime target in 2020.
Furthermore, the Spanish paper reporting on the story, El Desmarque, also claim Real Madrid want to sign another Man Utd target in the shape of RB Salzburg striker Erling Haaland.
AND THE REST
Real Madrid are reportedly set for a big push in the transfer market and are targeting both Jadon Sancho and Erling Braut Haaland (Daily Mail)
Netherlands manager Ronald Koeman has a clause in his contract that would let him depart the Oranje after Euro 2020 – but only if Barcelona come calling (Daily Mail)
Atletico Madrid star Joao Felix is to be sidelined for up to three weeks after the 19-year-old suffered an ankle knock on Saturday (Daily Mail)
Millwall are in advanced talks with Gary Rowett over becoming the Championship club’s new manager (Daily Telegraph)
Frank Lampard says he would be prepared to discuss Olivier Giroud’s future in January after the forward admitted he could be forced to consider his options if he remains on the fringes of the Chelsea line-up (Daily Telegraph)
Toby Alderweireld says Tottenham are still ‘fighting’ for the manager (Daily Telegraph)
Bukayo Saka, Arsenal’s teenage winger, has said he is ready to challenge Alexandre Lacazette for a place in Unai Emery’s attack (Daily Telegraph)
Mike Phelan has admitted Ole Gunnar Solskjaer knows he needs to spend big if he is going to turn things around at Manchester United (The Sun)
Liverpool star Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain appeared to be involved in a row with a pair of Manchester United fans after full-time at Old Trafford (The Sun)
PSG defender Thomas Meunier says he could have moved to Everton in the summer but the Belgium international was put off by the lack of European football on offer at Goodison Park (Daily Mirror)
Bayern Munich midfielder Corentin Tolisso has suffered a heart attack scare during training (Daily Mirror)
Marco Silva has claimed he never worried about the pressure mounting on his job at Everton because his conscience was clear that he was giving everything to correct the team’s faltering campaign (The Guardian)
Crystal Palace midfielder James McCarthy admits he’s always wanted to play for Celtic as he reminisced over derby day trips to Parkhead as a kid (Daily Record)