Tottenham are ready to offer one of their contract rebels a new deal, while Celtic are set for a £600,000 boost from the sale of a former star, according to Tuesday’s newspapers.
SPURS TO OFFER VETERAN STAR NEW DEAL
Tottenham have opened talks with Jan Vertonghen over a new deal but the club are reportedly hesitant to offer the 32-year-old more than a 12-month extension.
The veteran central defender is out of contact at the end of the season, when he could leave for nothing, but the Daily Mail reports that discussions over a new deal are underway.
However, there is an apprehension from Spurs to offer the 32-year-old anything over a one-year deal, while fellow centre-back Toby Alderweireld and playmaker are also out of contract in 2020.
However, the fact Moussa Sissoko, who turned 30 in August, signed a four-year contract last week is likely to be a key bargaining tool for Vertonghen as he looks for a longer deal.
Speaking on Monday, the defender said: “I’m very aware of my age. But I feel fairly young. I want to play as many games as I can at highest possible level. I’m very ambitious.
“I feel like I still have a couple of good years left in me. That’s definitely how I’m feeling now. I hope I can help the team for as long as I can.”
AND THE REST
Stoke are ready to offer Tony Pulis a return to the Potteries if they sack under-fire Nathan Jones (The Sun)
Mesut Ozil’s appointment as an Arsenal captain has raised eyebrows in the Emirates dressing room (The Sun)
Eric Bailly is set to be sidelined until 2020 with Manchester United fearing over his recovery from knee surgery (The Sun)
Manchester United are leading the race to Mario Mandzukic from Juventus on a free transfer in January (The Sun)
Chelsea’s English loanee Ike Ugbo, 21, has not been paid this month as the Dutch club used his £38k wages to pay his team-mates instead (The Sun)
Sean Longstaff rapped Newcastle’s flops as “embarrassing” after their 5-0 humbling at Leicester (The Sun)
Barcelona have been dealt a fresh blow as Lionel Messi has been ruled out for another three weeks as he continues to recover from a thigh problem (Daily Star)
West Ham fear Lukasz Fabianski could be out for up to three months in a huge blow to manager Manuel Pellegrini (Daily Star)
Rangers and Celtic are set to battle for Dundee United sensation Lawrence Shankland in January (Daily Star)
Barcelona have reportedly identified AC Milan striker Krzysztof Piatek as a possible long-term replacement for Luis Suarez (Daily Mail)
Real Madrid have employed a security firm to guard the homes of their players after a recent spate of break-ins at footballers’ homes (Daily Mail)
A Brazilian judge says the model who accused PSG superstar Neymar of rape will face trial on charges of fraud (Daily Mail)
Chelsea’s longest-serving member of the back-room staff, player liaison officer Gary Staker, has left the club after his position was made redundant (Daily Mail)
Liverpool are hopeful that goalkeeper Alisson Becker will be available again after the international break, when the Reds face Manchester United at Old Trafford (Daily Mirror)
Shamed footballers Tom Lawrence and Mason Bennett have returned to Derby first-team training and could face Barnsley on Wednesday despite their drink-drive crash (Daily Mirror)
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has reportedly added Englishman Martyn Pert, who has learned under Brendan Rodgers and Marcelo Bielsa, to his Manchester United coaching staff (Daily Mirror)
Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp is set to bolster his backroom team with the addition of Portuguese coach Vitor Matos from Porto (Daily Mirror)
Tammy Abraham is ready to accept an England call-up if Gareth Southgate picks him in his squad for the European Qualifiers – dashing Nigeria’s hopes of poaching him (Daily Telegraph)
The total amount that Manchester United could have to pay out for add-ons for players they have signed has soared by £30m in the last two years (The Times)
Steve Bruce’s position at Newcastle United is not under threat in spite of his side languishing in the relegation places after suffering a 5-0 hammering away to Leicester City on Sunday (The Times)
Celtic will land £600,000 if Hearts sell Aaron Hickey in January for £2m as Manchester City and Southampton continue tracking the 17-year-old full-back (Scottish Sun)
Scotland boss Steve Clarke will call up new Arsenal full-back Kieran Tierney on Tuesday but there will be no place in the squad for Chelsea kid Billy Gilmour (Scottish Sun)
Brandon Barker is aiming to capitalise on Rangers’ injury list to claim a start against Young Boys (Scottish Sun)
Paul Heckingbottom is facing a touchline ban as he awaits a notice of complaint from the SFA (Scottish Sun)
Philippe Senderos warned Rangers they face a pitch battle in Bern on Young Boys’ controversial surface (Daily Record)
Hearts boss Craig Levein has revealed that he doesn’t expect to see Craig Halkett return to action until well into the New Year (Daily Record)