Manchester City boss Pep Guardiola has revealed that centre-back Aymeric Laporte will return from a serious knee injury in the early months of next year.
Laporte suffered the injury in a Premier League match against Brighton at the end of last month, leaving the champions with just one recognised centre-back in Nicolas Otamendi for a brief period.
Speaking to reporters at a press conference ahead of City‘s clash with Norwich on Saturday, Guardiola provided an update on Laporte’s fitness.
“Not long, five months, six months, next year… January or February,” the Spaniard said, when asked how long the 25-year-old would be out for.
Elsewhere in the press conference, Guardiola hinted that Benjamin Mendy could return to the first-team squad at the weekend.
The France left-back has not played since April and has been beset by injury problems since joining the club in 2017.
Guardiola said: “Mendy is good. His knee is reacting well so hopefully in the next few games. We want to be careful and sure when he starts to play.”
Ilkay Gundogan has recovered from a stomach bug and Gabriel Jesus is fit and in contention this weekend.
Get the latest personalised City products on our new TEAMtalk Manchester City shop!