Barcelona star rebukes idea of being pawned to facilitate Liverpool raid

Date published: Saturday 27th March 2021 4:27 - Jonny Whitfield

Miralem Pjanic, Junior Firpo, Clement Lenglet Barcelona v Eibar December 2020

Barelona midfielder Miralem Pjanic has rejected the proposition of him leaving after only one season, amid speculation over a raid for Georginio Wijnaldum.

Pjanic moved to Camp Nou from Juventus last summer in a deal worth a maximum of £59million. However, he has struggled for match minutes and form, making only six La Liga starts from his 17 outings. What’s more, he took aim at manager Ronald Koeman last month for overlooking his services.

Therefore, speculation has serviced that he could find pastures new at the end of the campaign.

Barca want to sign Wijnaldum from Liverpool and while the finances of the deal will not be a problem – he will be a free agent in July – room in their squad is thin.

Spanish publication Sport has reported that Pjanic could consequently make way.

However, the Bosnian has rebuked the idea of him leaving Camp Nou after only one season.

Asked by Mundo Deportivo if he plans to stay, he said: “Yes, of course, I did not sign for Barca to leave the following year, I signed to make history at a club that had been on my path for many years.

“When I was 16 years old, my father was meeting with Barca leaders, who wanted to sign me for Barca B. I was at Metz then and we didn’t know how to appreciate that Barca B is so important in this club.

Miralem Pjanic Barcelona v Elche February 2021

“I decided to start my career in France but I always followed what Barca did.

“Two years ago, [former sporting director] Eric Abidal wanted to sign me, we were talking but the club invested in Antoine Griezmann and there was no money left for me.”

However, Pjanic got his move last summer and revealed what club officials told him about his role at the club.

Pjanic working hard for Barcelona minutes

“I had to wait two years to live the dream of being a Barca player. I came to Barca because of my game and my experience as a winner, that’s what they asked me to contribute when I signed for the Blaugrana club,” he added.

“They told me that my character and my experience would be vital to grow a generation of young people from La Masia who were climbing very strongly. Balance is essential and I came to provide that balance.

“Look, I’ve come to Barca to win the Champions League, that’s my goal. This year I want to help win the double, that’s my mentality. I never give up. If I don’t play, the next morning I am training harder than ever so that the coaches will notice that I am not giving up.

“I have not stopped training a single day, although I arrived later because of the Covid-19. When I started with the symptoms, I couldn’t believe it… Koeman told me in pre-season to be calm, to get in shape, not to be in a hurry.

“Then it was difficult for me to enter. Koeman doesn’t talk much to players so what I have to do is keep working to be ready when he needs me.”

Wijnaldum, meanwhile, has stressed on separate occasions that he has “no news” over his Liverpool future. However, reports have suggested that he has agreed a pre-contract deal with Barca.

READ MORE: Wijnaldum breaks silence following raft of concrete Liverpool exit reports

Related Articles

HAVE YOUR SAY IN OUR FORUM