Former Tottenham boss Ossie Ardiles has confirmed that Mauricio Pochettino has received a “good offer” to become the new head coach at Newcastle.
Pochettino was sacked by Spurs in November but he was unable to return to football management until last Monday, when his period of gardening leave with the north London club expired.
The Argentine has been heavily linked with taking the reins at St James’ Park, with the Magpies’ takeover by a wealthy, Saudi-backed consortium set to go through next week.
Speaking to the Daily Mirror, Ardiles added that his compatriot Pochettino would be taking his time before coming to a decision on his future.
“Mauricio is fine in England,” Ardiles said. “He is linked with Newcastle United and when he spoke directly to that club there were many first-rate people involved who made him a good offer.
“Mauricio had a relationship with Tottenham, but last Tuesday his situation was unlocked and he is free to coach. In this way, he will hear offers again, but Newcastle is a firm possibility to work again.
“He will take his time to think and wait a little for all this to happen.”
Passing the Premier League’s owners and directors’ test is all that stands between Saudi Prince Mohammed bin Salman and his takeover of Newcastle.
And while Pochettino is being linked with taking charge of a rebuild of the Magpies, current boss Steve Bruce insisted earlier this week that he would back himself to keep his job.
Bruce said: “If it’s good for Newcastle, and the club are going to try to compete with these teams, to be part of it would be great. I would love to see it and I’d love to be part of it.
“I hope it’s where it goes, but in the meantime I’ll just crack on, wait, roll my sleeves up and get on with trying to get some results to try and get the club going forward.”