Pogba teases Man Utd exit after disclosing contact in Nations League fallout

Date published: Friday 8th October 2021 5:58 - Steve Pearson

Manchester United midfielder Paul Pogba refused to rule out the possibility of returning to Juventus and admitted he still has an affinity for the city of Turin.

Pogba, 28, is in the final year of his contract with Manchester United. The Red Devils are understood to be keen to tie the Frenchman down to bumper new terms. Indeed, Pogba’s superb start to the season that saw him rack up seven assists in his first four outings showed what he is capable of.

However, a contract breakthrough is yet to be made as the European vultures begin to circle. PSG, Real Madrid and Juventus have all been credited with interest in the would-be free agent.

Pogba will be free to sign a pre-contract agreement with overseas clubs come January if fresh terms aren’t penned. As such, talk has already turned to who Manchester United could sign as his replacement.

The latest report from L’Equipe did suggest Pogba has confided in close friends he wishes to remain in Manchester.

They speculated a potential new contract could net Pogba £400,000-per-week. Though even that massive figure would be dwarfed by what the Independent claimed PSG were willing to offer.

That particular newspaper stated a whopping £510,000-per-week deal would be put on the table.

Nonetheless, agent Mino Raiola has regularly hinted a return to Turin with Juventus could be on the cards.

Mino Raiola TEAMtalk

“Pogba’s contract expires next year. We will talk to Manchester (United) and see,” Raiola said last month.

“For sure Turin has remained in his heart and he cares a lot about these things. The possibility of returning to Juventus is there but it also depends on Juve.”

Now, speaking in his post-match interview after France roared back to defeat Belgium 3-2 in the UEFA Nations League semi final, Pogba left the door ajar to a Juve return.

When asked directly about the Juventus links, Pogba said (via the Metro): “I like Torino [laughs]!

“I always speak with former Juve team-mates like [Paulo] Dybala. I’m in Manchester now, I’m under contract until June.

“Then let’s see. I want to complete this season at my best level, then we will see.”


Assessing who will be the next Premier League manager to get the sack


“Unworthy” Man Utd star should follow Dan James’ lead

Meanwhile, Alex McLeish thinks Donny van de Beek’s situation at Man Utd is making him ‘feel unworthy’ and that the Dutchman should leave the club in January.

The 24-year-old’s lack of game time has resulted in rumours of a Man Utd exit. Everton recently confirmed that they attempted to sign him in the summer, only to be knocked back. The general consensus is that the Toffees will return in January with an improved loan offer.

Former manager McLeish compared van de Beek to Daniel James. The pacy winger left Man Utd for Leeds following the signing of Jadon Sancho by the Red Devils.

“What do we say every week? They need to play, don’t they, they need to play,” McLeish told Football Insider. “Donny van de Beek will be losing confidence, that is a massive factor for any individual in any sport or walk of life they’re in. Confidence breeds success.

“That kid will be feeling unworthy. That he is not good enough for the club. A move to a club such as Everton, if he can get regular football, it’d be a bit like Daniel James.

“He’s gone to Leeds, he’s playing regularly and you can see the enthusiasm in his game. Van de Beek, he is seen as one of the emerging, young, world-class players at his age level.

READ MORE: Paper Talk: ‘Agent’ Bruno Fernandes working on stunning Man Utd transfer; Newcastle free to spend big despite FFP

Related Articles

HAVE YOUR SAY IN OUR FORUM