Pogba thunderbolt ensures Man Utd secure comeback win over Fulham

Manchester United reclaimed first place in the Premier League table by coming from behind to beat Fulham 2-1.

Earlier in the day, United had been overtaken by their rivals Manchester City, who beat Aston Villa 2-0 to go top.

But Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s side responded with a win of their own to return to the summit of the table – even though City still have a game in hand over them.

United fell behind early in the game, when Ademola Lookman gave Fulham a shock lead.

The forward latched onto a through ball from Andre Zambo Anguissa, with his opponents incorrectly feeling he may have been offside, before picking his finish.

Fulham have a good record when taking the lead under Scott Parker but their resolve was always going to be tested by a United side pushing to challenge for the title.

Indeed, despite Fulham’s stubbornness, their visitors soon found an equaliser. Bruno Fernandes struck the woodwork with a shot, but the danger had not passed and another opportunity quickly materialised.

The ball came to Edinson Cavani in the middle of the box, who pounced to make it 1-1.

United now had their foot in the game and were the stronger side for the remainder of the first half.

However, Fulham almost gave them another wake-up call as the second half began. Lookman forced a save from De Gea at the end of a decent move.

At the other end, Alphonse Areola used his knee to keep out a header from Bruno Fernandes, although the attacking midfielder was offside anyway.

Pogba smashes in Utd winner

United got themselves in front for the first time in the 65th minute. Paul Pogba cut in from the right-hand side, curling the ball in powerfully with his left foot.

Fulham were still in the game, though, and Ruben Loftus-Cheek tested De Gea from close range. The United goalkeeper kept his shot out with his legs.

Loftus-Cheek had another chance a few minutes later, but blazed his effort over the bar.

Deep into stoppage time, a header from Aleksandar Mitrovic deflected off Eric Bailly and almost trickled into the net for an equaliser, but it went narrowly wide.

Ultimately, United withstood the pressure from their opponents in the closing stages and kept hold of all three points.