‘New challenge’ for Wijnaldum after PSG confirm midfielder’s transfer

Date published: Thursday 10th June 2021 2:25 - Matthew Briggs

Georginio Wijnaldum Liverpool v Crystal Palace May 2021

Paris Saint-Germain have confirmed the signing of Liverpool midfielder Georginio Wijnaldum on a free transfer.

The Dutch midfielder was out of contract at Anfield and was expected to sign for the Ligue 1 champions after a deal to Barcelona fell through.

Wijnaldum, who made 237 appearances for Liverpool, won the Champions League and Premier League during his five-year spell at Anfield.

He has penned a three-year contract in the French capital.

Wijnaldum is said to have come to his decision after a late offer from PSG.

PSG’s owners QSI are believed to have blown Barca out of the water by more than doubling their wage offer.

PSG chief Mauricio Pochettino is also understood to have personally called Wijnaldum to persuade him to cross the Channel.

Barca meanwhile refused to up their contract offer for the 30-year-old.

“Signing for Paris Saint-Germain is a new challenge for me,” Wijnaldum told PSG’s website, after signing his contract.

“I’m joining one of the best squads in Europe and I want to bring all my desire and commitment to this ambitious project.

“Paris Saint-Germain have proved how good they are in recent years and I am convinced that together, with our supporters, we can go even further and higher.”

After five years at Anfield Wijnaldum told Sky Sports after his final game last month: “I’m fighting against my tears right now.

“I’ve said that the people in Liverpool and the club, my team-mates, have shown me love during the five years, and I will miss them.

“I hoped to play many more years for the club but unfortunately things went different.”

 

A standing ovation on the final day showcased just how highly the midfielder was thought of on Merseyside.


Give our social media channels a follow – we’re on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram


Wijnaldum to reveal all after Euro 2020

And on WednesdayWijnaldum revealed it was not just the fans that wished to see him stay. Per the Dutchman, multiple sections of the club’s staff – including the players – weren’t on board with his exit.

Wijnaldum has promised to reveal all after Euro 2020. Additionally, he hinted that the decision over his exit was likely a business one made by the club’s hierarchy.

Initially speaking about his final appearance, Wijnaldum told Voetbal International (via Sport Witness): “I am still emotional because at that moment you realise: It was my last game for Liverpool.

 

“Also, the fact that before me, many players left who didn’t get something like that makes it special for me.

“There are many supporters who ask me why I didn’t just accept the offer from Liverpool to extend my contract,” added the 30-year-old.

“But of course, it’s not just that. It’s about much more than that. There are things happening behind the scenes that you cannot influence as a player.

READ MORE: Grealish admits he has been wowed by Liverpool star in England camp

We’ve entered the £1million FanTeam Euro 2020 Fantasy tournament. Head to fanteam.co/TEAMtalk to compete against us.

Related Articles

HAVE YOUR SAY IN OUR FORUM