PSG director claims sacking Chelsea CL winner Tuchel was ‘good choice’

Date published: Thursday 3rd June 2021 9:22 - Samuel Bannister

Thomas Tuchel Chelsea Champions League May 2021

Paris Saint-Germain sporting director Leonardo still thinks it was a good decision to sack Thomas Tuchel, who just won the Champions League with Chelsea.

Tuchel has transformed Chelsea since his arrival in January, guiding them to a top-four finish and winning the Champions League. In the process, he has overcome several of the game’s elite managers, beating Pep Guardiola three times, for example. His success may have left his former employers with some regrets.

PSG sacked Tuchel on Christmas Eve 2020 after friction between him and Leonardo grew. The pair disagreed on some of the players the latter brought in.

Mauricio Pochettino eventually replaced Tuchel in the Parc Des Princes hotseat. However, the former Tottenham boss could not retain the Ligue 1 title that Tuchel had won in each of the two previous seasons.

In addition, PSG exited the Champions League in the semi-finals, only to see Tuchel – who led them to the final in 2020 – lift the trophy with Chelsea.

However, Leonardo stands by PSG’s decision to fire the German boss.

He told Canal Plus: “How did I experience Tuchel’s victory? It’s football, it’s things that happen, it turns. I am happy.

“PSG made a good choice [to let him go]. These are cycles that pass in a club.

“Thiago Silva too, it’s great to see him, even if he’s injured.”

PSG keeping hold of Pochettino

Tuchel’s successor Pochettino has reportedly been having similar disagreements with Leonardo and had been linked with a return to Tottenham.

However, it appears he will be staying with PSG, who recently extended his contract until 2023.

What’s more, The Telegraph have claimed that he never told them he wanted to leave. They are “bemused” by those claims and are convinced he is “committed”, having not been told otherwise.

While Spurs were exploring their options, Pochettino never had contact with PSG over a potential departure. Now, it seems they have put the final nail in the coffin of Tottenham’s hopes of luring him back.

Instead, former Chelsea boss Antonio Conte looks more likely to take the Spurs job.

READ MORETottenham in ‘advanced’ talks with demanding manager as decision nears

Related Articles

HAVE YOUR SAY IN OUR FORUM