Paris Saint-Germain have made contact with Franck Kessie and AC Milan over a transfer for the midfielder, according to reports.
Kessie is in the final year of his contract with Milan and has shown a reluctance to renew at present. It could lead to an opportunity in the market for several clubs. Tottenham Hotspur are among the Ivorian’s leading suitors.
In fact, Monday’s Paper Talk reported a possible swap deal between Spurs and Milan involving Kessie and Tanguy Ndombele, who is not in Nuno Espirito Santo’s plans but failed to seal an exit this summer.
However, it came with the reminder that PSG are also heavily interested in Kessie – and there has been some development on that front.
According to French source Foot Mercato, Paris have initiated contact with both Kessie and his club.
First, they have been working on convincing the player himself – and his agent. On offer is a contract worth €9m per season, which is higher than Milan’s most recent renewal offer of €6.8m per annum.
Then, they have been discussing a potential deal with his current club. The idea of a transfer materialising in January cannot be ruled out, despite the prospect of them securing a pre-contract agreement with Kessie and signing him for free in the summer.
Milan lost Gianluigi Donnarumma (also to PSG) and Hakan Calhanoglu (to rivals Inter) as free agents this summer, so would prefer to receive some windfall if they are to lose Kessie.
There has been a conversation between Leonardo and Paolo Maldini – who represent PSG and Milan respectively, but used to work together for the latter, as players and directors – over Kessie’s potential January transfer.
Where the situation progresses from here remains to be seen. If it seems Kessie is getting closer to Paris, Tottenham may need to speed up their rival attempt to sign him.
Furthermore, with PSG seemingly willing to spend a smaller sum to sign him immediately in January, Spurs’ plans to acquire him for free in the summer would be scuppered.
Kessie has spent his entire club career playing in Italy – first with Atalanta and, since 2017, with Milan. It seems 2022 could be the year in which he moves on to a different league.
Whether that is the Premier League or Ligue 1 is something that will only become clear closer to the time.
Tottenham star has exit plan
Meanwhile, a current Tottenham player who has a PSG past has been speaking of his intentions to leave the club in future.
Lucas Moura finds himself very much back in favour at Spurs under the regime of new coach Nuno. The 29-year-old has started two of Tottenham’s three Premier League games so far and come off the bench in the other. Indeed, he appears a big part of Nuno’s plans going forwards.
Moura joined Tottenham in January 2018; his name forever written into Spurs folklore after his historic hat-trick against Ajax in 2019.
Having signed from PSG, Moura’s deal at Spurs runs through until summer 2023.
That will complete a decade in Europe for the former Sao Paulo man. And now he has confirmed reports how he hopes his next career move will take him back to the Brazilian club.
“It’s in my plans to go back to Brazil, back to Sao Paulo,” he told ESPN. I never hid it from anyone, I never hid the affection and love I feel for Sao Paulo,” he added.
“When I left Sao Paulo I said I wanted to stay for 10 years in Europe. Come rain, come shine, my goal, my plan is to stay 10 years.
“I do have a plan to go back to Sao Paulo. I want to feel again what it’s like to play at Morumbi, wear that shirt, the club of my heart. But I still have wood to burn. I’m feeling very good physically,” he added.
Moura also hopes to help Tottenham end their long wait for silverware, having gone close on a couple of occasions during his time at the club.
“I’m playing in a big league, in a big club. I have the goal of winning a title with Tottenham, which I haven’t achieved yet. I still have some goals to achieve here.”