Pundit crosses swords with Souness over Man Utd bid for Jadon Sancho

Date published: Friday 21st August 2020 6:29 - James Marshment

Jadon.Sancho.Dortmund.TEAMtalk

Owen Hargreaves has countered Graeme Souness’ claims that Manchester United would be best avoiding an enormous outlay to sign Jadon Sancho.

The Red Devils made no secret of their desire to land the 20-year-old England superstar this summer.


Prior reports had suggested personal terms between Man Utd and Sancho had been agreed, with just the fee to be paid to Dortmund holding up the deal.

However, TEAMtalk has now been told this was this was not the case. That’s despite reports in Germany and from prominent social media accounts suggesting a deal had been agreed between the player and United.

With United struggling to agree a fee, Souness suggested the Red Devils ought to spend their money elsewhere.

Writing in The Times, Souness said: “It looks like Manchester United will have to spend the best part of £100m to get Jadon Sancho from Borussia Dortmund. I’m not sure that’s their priority.

“There are other places they need to strengthen because Mason Greenwood, Anthony Martial and Marcus Rashford can score in any company.”

However, former United midfielder Hargreaves has backed their push to bring in the winger.

 

He told talkSPORT: “I hope he comes over here. He would be perfect for Manchester United.

“I don’t think they [Borussia Dortmund] have much of an argument. They’ve pretty much sold everyone, whether it’s been Lewandowski, Hummels, Gotze or Dembele.

“Everyone has pretty much left there. We know they are a selling club and it’s obviously about money.

“In Jadon, as much as we are in a difficult space right now with everything going in the world. It will be money well spent.

“You just have to get the deal done. You saw what Bruno Fernandes did to Manchester United. Jadon would do the same.”

 

Joel Glazer ‘blamed’ for Sancho delay

United’s lack of progress over Sancho could reportedly be down to Joel Glazer.

Executive vice-chairman Ed Woodward has been the man in the firing line as yet another United transfer saga rumbles on.

Jadon Sancho

A report in the Daily Mirror claims that Woodward and chief negotiator Matt Judge are ‘conducting talks via intermediaries drafted in by Borussia Dortmund’. But it adds that the two clubs are still some way apart on their fee.

Also, according to The Athletic, it is owner Joel Glazer that has stood firm. They claim that he has strictly expressed his reluctance to meet Dortmund’s €120 million asking price.

The report adds that with ‘Sancho set to demand a high salary and commissions involved in the deal also adding up’, it is Glazer that is adamant the club ‘cannot afford to pay over the odds’ as he leaves Woodward and Judge to try and get a deal through.

Read more here…

 

Related Articles

HAVE YOUR SAY IN OUR FORUM