Pundit urges Moyes to make ‘perfect’ summer signing for West Ham

Date published: Thursday 11th February 2021 4:48 - Neil Foster

Former Aston Villa striker Gabriel Agbonlahor feels West Ham should look to sign Blackburn Rovers’ Adam Armstrong in the summer transfer window.

The Hammers are currently light in the attacking areas after Sebastien Haller’s January defection to Ajax. Jesse Lingard arrived on loan to help out but Michael Antonio is the only senior out-and-out striker.

A number of names were linked last month but David Moyes has since outlined why he decided against spending big. Reports emerged over the weekend that they have been monitoring the progress of Armstrong this season.

The 23-year-old has bagged 17 goals from 26 Championship appearances in 2020-2021. He scored 16 for Rovers last term and has helped Tony Mowbray’s side to eighth in the second-tier standings.

They are six points behind sixth-placed Bournemouth but have a game in hand on the Cherries. Armstrong has played a big part and Agbonlahor sees no reason why another Championship star cannot make the transition.

“You look at Ollie Watkins (at Aston Villa), you look at Ivan Toney, I’m sure if Brentford don’t go up, he’ll get a move to the Premier League,” he said. “A lot of these Championship strikers are making the grade when they come up to the Premier League and they are showing they can do it.

“It wouldn’t surprise me if he was the sort of player who wouldn’t moan about being the second choice until he gets settled in. I’m sure that would be a perfect signing that David Moyes would look at.”

Mowbray expects Armstrong departure

Rovers boss Mowbray has confessed he expected bids for the Newcastle-born ace last month. Having started life at St James’ Park, the man capped at all England youth levels has enjoyed many loan spells.

He played for Coventry City, Barnsley and Bolton before ending up at Blackburn in January 2018. The one remaining box to tick is a return to the Premier League after 15 top-flight appearances for the Tynesiders.

And Mowbray admitted his surprise at a lack of interest in January.

He said: “I’m not disappointed, but am I surprised? I thought the phone might have rung.

“I’ve had a conversation with a couple of Premier League managers but they’ve not been pushy, just enquired.”

Should Rovers gain promotion it might cause the club and player to have a rethink about his future plans. But money talks in football and a sizeable bid would probably see him move on.

Chief Executive Steve Waggott has already stated he will only entertain bids in the region of £30m for the striker.

 

READ MORE: Reasons given for West Ham’s failed striker bid

Related Articles

HAVE YOUR SAY IN OUR FORUM