Andrea Radrizzani has revealed he is in talks with Marcelo Bielsa and cannot see any hurdles as the Leeds owner bids to tie down the head coach for another season.
Reports in his native Argentina earlier this month suggested that Bielsa had agreed a two-year extension to his contract as Leeds boss. The 65-year-old quickly poured cold water on the talk and said he would release the information if and when it arrived. And now it appears that talks are underway to take Bielsa into his fourth season in West Yorkshire.
Bielsa arrived in June 2018, replacing Paul Heckingbottom, but his contract expires in the summer.
Speaking to L’Equipe, Radrizzani said: “I hope to extend it by the end of the season and I think it is possible. We are in discussions.
“There is a common will to continue and so far we have always got along well. We support Marcelo in his work and I think I can say that he is satisfied with his relations with the management of the club.
“Hopefully, we can continue to work together.”
Radrizzani also made it clear that life at the West Yorkshire club will still go on after the former Athletic Bilbao boss has left. The Italian businessman remains committed to reviving the club’s fortunes and set his sights on Europe.
“Leeds United are bigger than Marcelo Bielsa. If one day, for whatever reason, we were to split up with Marcelo, that wouldn’t change our objective, which is to one day put Leeds back to where this club was, so that it can once again play in the Champions League,” added the 46-year-old.
“We will have to try to continue to provide as much pleasure through the game, to finish, if possible, in a place better than this season in the Premier League and to integrate some of our young players in the first team because our training is very efficient.”
Bielsa puts Europe talk to bed
“If we guide ourselves from what’s happened this season, from the results or performances, we can see against the traditional top six, only against Arsenal were we able to play against equals in the first half of the home game,” he said. “The second half of that game [0-0 draw at home in November] we played with one man more.
“In the game against Manchester United, we did not deserve a better result. Perhaps the margin should not have been so high, but they deserved their win. The same with Tottenham.
“The two Chelsea games were difficult especially the first. The draw against Chelsea we deserved, but in a game they dominated we did not deserve to win it.
“The two games against Manchester City, at home the draw was fair and in the first half of this game [last Saturday] they were better than us and in the second we were a man down.
“My conclusions are not the same as yours. We haven’t been able to play as equals against the traditional top six. To anticipate when this will happen is not prudent.”