Bournemouth goalkeeper Aaron Ramsdale has said it was a “shock” to have tested positive for coronavirus following the Premier League’s second round of tests.
The 22-year-old has been asymptomatic and had returned a negative test on May 18 before testing positive on Friday, when the top-flight’s testing regime was stepped up.
There were two positive tests from the latest round of Covid-19 testing among Premier League players and staff, with the other test coming from a different club.
“It’s definitely a shock — I’ve not been in contact with anybody and I’ve now got it,” Ramsdale told The Sun.
“I’m showing no symptoms so the fact that a healthy young person could potentially have it is definitely scary and worrying.”
Ramsdale’s comments come after six positive tests – with three confirmed from Watford and one from Burnley – in the first round of testing.
Hornets defender Adrian Mariappa was one of the confirmed cases at the club and boss Nigel Pearson later confirmed that two other people at the club had entered self-isolation.
Watford captain Troy Deeney has already said he will not be returning to training until he feels safe, while N’Golo Kante was also absent at Chelsea’s Cobham complex last week after expressing concerns.
Players, managers, the Professional Football Association (PFA) and Premier League representatives are set to speak on Tuesday to get a feeling for whether Phase Two of ‘Project Restart’ – introducing contact training – will be voted through.
A vote on Phase Two will then be held on Wednesday and if it is implemented, a meeting is pencilled for Thursday when clubs could set a formal restart date for the top flight, as well as decide on fixture schedules and TV arrangements.