Rangnick urged to step aside with Man Utd tipped to make new boss appointment

James Marshment
Ralf Rangnick, Man Utd interim manager, faces the media after Premier League win at Norwich

Manchester United are being urged to make clear their managerial plans are quickly get a plan in place for Ralf Rangnick’s long-term successor as boss.

The Red Devils are on an upward curve again after Saturday’s 1-0 win at Norwich made it six games unbeaten since Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s dismissal. Indeed, while they weren’t at their best at Carrow Road, the win was very much welcome in their pursuit of a top-four finish.

It all makes for good reading though for Rangnick. The wily German has been selected as interim manager to lead United through to the season’s end. And he can begin planning for the new year too with Manchester United landing this very tasty Champions League draw.

When the season concludes though, Rangnick will step into an advisory role at Old Trafford. Working alongside the new manager, he will help determine areas of improvement and prospective transfer targets.

Former United striker Teddy Sheringham, however, has urged the Red Devils to get a clear plan in place. Suggesting two prospective managerial targets, he wants his old club to make clear their succession plan for Rangnick.

Two candidates to succeed Rangnick

“I think Mauricio Pochettino or Brendan Rodgers would be quite perfect for the job,” Sheringham told the Manchester Evening News.

“Rodgers is very calm in the way that he works things for his football teams. He gets results, he wins things, he won the FA Cup last year, so he’ll be delighted with that.

Rangnick prioritising offloading players in January

The emphasis will be on trimming the squad down in January rather than building it up.

“But also the way Pochettino plays his football, the way he dictates a lot of games. He takes the game to the opposition. His teams play with an identity that you want from a manager.

“You want to know how you’re going to play a game. You can see what he’s trying to work at. And I think, you know, he has that demeanour that would make him an ideal candidate for the Manchester United job as well.”

Gary Neville concerned over two Man Utd stars

Gary Neville claims that full-backs Diogo Dalot and Alex Telles will ‘get exposed’ in United’s new system under Rangnick.

United edged past bottom club Norwich City on Saturday thanks to Cristiano Ronaldo’s second-half penalty and some David De Gea brilliance.

At the other end of the pitch, United’s forwards struggled to make an impact. Meanwhile, Neville believes their two stand-in full-backs will face difficulty when they play against the top sides in the Premier League.

“It wasn’t a good performance,” Neville told Sky Sports.

“Against any other team in the league that would have caused them problems. If they go to Brentford and play like that they’re in trouble. He’ll take that week all day long, two 1-0 wins.

“It was Norwich’s lack of quality. Today I thought that any other team in the league that had any sort of quality about them would have caused real problems.

“The one thing that Ralf Rangnick had to try and fix first was the defensive problems, and make them tougher to play against. I don’t think they were tough to play against today.

“The big mystery of today for me is why Manchester United were so lacking in energy. I thought they would be a lot better than that after having a free week to prepare. We’ll know a little bit more on Tuesday night.

“Rangnick is still finding out about his players. I do think there will be a problem with this system when they play against a team with good full-backs who have got more quality. Dalot and Telles will basically get exposed.”

READ MORENeville takes exception to Mino Raiola’s Man Utd dig over Erling Haaland transfer