Werder Bremen forward Milot Rashica has rejected an approach from Liverpool, according to a report in Germany.
SportBild via Sport Witness claim that Liverpool made an enquiry for the the 24-year-old attacker, amid interest from RB Leipzig.
Ironically, Rashica has been targeted as a replacement for Timo Werner, who signed for Chelsea from Leipzig last month.
Werner was a firm target for Jurgen Klopp, who spoke to the Germany international before the Reds decided they could not pay the €50m asking price.
Back in May Kosovan official Agim Amedi confirmed Liverpool wanted Rashica, along with Leipzig.
“There are many requests for him,” Amedi told Syri TV.
“I know that Liverpool in the Premier League want him, but also Leipzig in the Bundesliga. I am sure that he will be advised in the best way to make his decision.”
The club’s sporting director Frank Baumann also comfirmed that the player would leave this summer and that talks over a transfer had been held.
Rashica fancies Leipzig move
“There is movement and discussions with a club, but other clubs are also interested in him,” Baumann told Bundesliga News. “We have to assume that he won’t be with us next season. But we don’t need to sell below value.”
Leipzig, though, appear to have won the race to sign the player.
Rashica has scored 11 goals and assisted eight more in 34 games for Werder Bremen this season, with the club narrowly avoiding relegation.
The German source report that “everything has been discussed” with Rashica over a move and he wants to move after an “intensive conversation” with coach Julian Nagelsmann.
The attacker had a release clause of €38m, but that expired on June 15, and while Bremen are not insisting on that price tag now they still want in excess of €20m.
Leipzig cannot afford that and could offer to pay a base fee of €15m, with several add-ons to follow.