Sevilla star responds to Chelsea, Everton links as advanced talks are held

Date published: Thursday 6th August 2020 10:43

Joan Jordan Moreno, Sergio Reguilon

Sergio Reguilon admits he is flattered by reports linking him with a move to Chelsea and Everton amid claims talks are advancing.

The 23-year-old has proved one of the stars of the season during his loan to Sevilla. Indeed, the Real Madrid man was voted as the best left-back in LaLiga over the 2019/20 campaign.

The Spaniard played 31 times in LaLiga to help his side finish fourth and qualify for the Champions League.

Earlier reports suggested Tottenham were the early frontrunners to sign Regulion. However Everton made the first firm move last month with an £18million bid.

However, Chelsea now appear very much in the driving seat and the player could be brought in as an alternative to Ben Chilwell.

Chilwell is valued highly by Leicester and would cost the Blues around £50m.

Given they want to add Kai Havertz to Hakim Ziyech and Timo Werner, the chance to sign Reguilon does make sense.

Reports earlier this week said the Blues were prepared to better Everton’s offer to Real for Reguilon.

Now, having been questioned about links to Chelsea, Reguilon admits he’s flattered by the £22.5m interest.

However, he says his only focus remains on helping Sevilla to Europa League success.

Asked about Chelsea’s interest, he told Marca: “If my year at Sevilla had not been good, then this would not be happening. These teams would not ring.

“If I am fine, the team is fine and the club is fine, everyone is happy.

 

“But I do not think about these possibilities now – I’m sorry if that sounds like a cliche.

“I’ve been saying since quarantine that until the season isn’t over I won’t be talking about my future.

“Until then it would be unfair on myself, my teammates and club.

“I have no complaints about anything, about the city, the club, my colleagues. I feel very loved. Who knows what will happen in the future.”

Reguilon is also open to the idea of staying at Sevilla on a second’s season’s loan.

“We should talk about that sitting quietly with Real Madrid, my representative, with everyone,” he said. “And see the possibilities for next year, let’s see what happens. I don’t know.”

 

Chelsea target Jose Gimenez

Frank Lampard has made Atletico Madrid’s Jose Gimenez his No.1 target at centre-half for Chelsea.

That’s according to the Daily Star, who claims the Blues have been forced to switch targets. The interest in Gimenez appears to have come about after West Ham priced them out over Declan Rice.

Jose Gimenez

Lampard is keen to bring Rice back to the club where he started his career in their academy. But West Ham’s insistence that they won’t sell for less than £80m appears to have scared Chelsea off.

West Ham boss David Moyes has always stated that Rice is a big part of his plans. Now it seems their tactic of slapping a big price on the player has scared Chelsea away.

Instead, Lampard and Co feel a deal for Uruguayan lynchpin Gimenez would make much more sense.

Gimenez has a £110m exit clause in his contract at the Wanda Metropolitano. But it’s reported Chelsea have been informed they can sign the player for just £60m this summer.

Read more on that, and the rest of today’s speculation, in Paper Talk.

 

Related Articles

HAVE YOUR SAY IN OUR FORUM