Spanish journalist confirms Tottenham fears; says star has said ‘yes’ to Real Madrid

Date published: Wednesday 3rd February 2021 12:59 - Matthew Briggs

Sergio Reguilon TEAMtalk

Sergio Reguilon has reportedly assured Real Madrid he will return to the Bernabeu in the summer after 12 months at Tottenham.

Reguilon arrived at Spurs from Real Madrid in September last year for a fee which could rise to £32m. He has become Jose Mourinho’s first-choice left-back with 13 Premier League appearances.

Real though made sure they had a buy-back option on the deal and the player has previously admitted he could return.

“Madrid is my home and where I have grown up and they have given me everything. The future is not known but that possibility exists,” he said in November.

The 24-year-old also made it clear it was not his choice to leave Madrid and more the LaLiga club’s decision.

Speaking to Onda Cero, relayed by Libertad Digital, he said: “I’m not in Madrid because it’s something that wasn’t up to me.

“My conscience is very clear. You can’t be frustrated about decisions you don’t get to make. I didn’t get to speak with [Zinedine] Zidane.”

Reguilon was born in Madrid before coming through the academy ranks at the Bernabeu. He made his senior debut in October 2018, before spending last season on loan at Sevilla.

He was named the best left-back in LaLiga for his performances for Sevilla and that is where Spurs saw the full-back.

There has been talk that Real could look to bring Reguilon back with the buy-back reported to be around 40m.

Zinedine Zidane currently has Ferland Mendy and Marcelo as the two left-backs available to him. Brazilian Marcelo, 32, though, could be allowed to leave in the summer.

 

 

And now Spanish journalist Eduardo Inda, who is one of El Chiringuito’s panel members, thinks a deal has been done.

According to Inda, Reguilon has said ‘yes’ over returning to Real Madrid.

That would be a huge blow to Jose Mourinho who has come to rely on the Spain star this season.

Mourinho blocked Tanganga exit

Meanwhile, Tottenham refused to allow Japhet Tanganga to join Celtic or two Premier League rivals on deadline day, according to reports.

Tanganga has had to be patient for opportunities since emerging from the academy ranks at Tottenham. Indeed, he is yet to play in the Premier League this season.

Due to his lack of action, it appears several clubs thought they could test Tottenham’s resolve on deadline day.

According to The Athletic, Spurs received offers from Celtic, Southampton and West Brom before the transfer window closed. However, all three suitors were warned away.

READ MORE…

Related Articles

HAVE YOUR SAY IN OUR FORUM