Rennes star confirms Edouard Mendy transfer as Chelsea strike bargain deal

Date published: Wednesday 9th September 2020 7:23

Edouard Mendy

Chelsea will confirm the signing this week of Edouard Mendy after his captain at Rennes, Damien Da Silva, sent him a message of congratulations.

The Blues have already spent £200million on six summer signings, Kai Havertz the latest to arrive.

Chelsea’s significant spending power in recent months comes after two quiet previous transfer windows, including their transfer ban last summer.

However, reports claim boss Frank Lampard has far from finished revamping his squad ahead of the new season. The 42-year-old wants another goalkeeper, amid doubts about Kepa Arrizabalaga.

Recent reports have suggested Chelsea have stepped up their hunt for Senegal international Mendy. The 28-year-old impressed with nine clean sheets in Ligue 1 last season.

Chelsea have allegedly had at least one bid knocked back for Mendy, but The Athletic says an agreement is near. The source claims Chelsea are edging closer to meeting Rennes’ demands.

Now, reports in France claim Chelsea have agreed a bargain deal for the keeper. The Blues will reportedly pay Rennes just £18.2million up front. With bonuses, the deal could reach a little more, but Chelsea won’t pay higher than £25m.

And if Mendy proves the upgrade in goal to Kepa than everyone expects him to be, Chelsea will have themselves a bargain.

For Rennes, the deal also marks a sizeable profit. They signed the keeper for just £3.5m from Stade Reims last summer.

 

But his exit will be a telling blow for Rennes, who have qualified for this season’s Champions League.

His skipper Da Silva, however, insists Mendy deserves the move to Stamford Bridge.

“We are a little selfish, we don’t want to lose Edouard Mendy. But it’s part of football and the transfer market,” Da Silva told Telefoot.

“He’s a great goalkeeper who deserves what happens to him.”

 

 

 

Kepa to compete with Mendy

The signing of Mendy will give Chelsea some serious competition between the posts.

Kepa

Despite his struggles, Kepa looks set to stay at the Bridge, in part as Chelsea will struggle to find a buyer for the Spaniard.

Speaking last month, Petr Cech admitted that Chelsea were considering replacements after Kepa’s inconsistent displays.

“Kepa struggled last season, that is unquestionable,” said Cech.

“But the club invested in him and gave him a long-term contract because they believe he has the qualities and attributes to be successful.

“Additions will be made to the squad, perhaps even in goal, and this is what is being discussed now.

“But nobody is giving up on Kepa and we all hope he has a great future.”

 

Read more here….

 

Related Articles

HAVE YOUR SAY IN OUR FORUM