Manchester United enquired about the availability of Bournemouth winger Ryan Fraser late on in January but were unwilling to match the Cherries’ price tag, according to a report.
Strengthening the club’s attack was one of United‘s top priorities last month following the injury to Marcus Rashford, with the Red Devils eventually opting to sign Odion Ighalo on a loan deal.
A new midfielder was also required, with United eventually getting a move for Bruno Fernandes over the line, the Portuguese making his debut in Saturday’s 0-0 draw with Wolves.
United were linked with a host of strikers before the end of the transfer window – one of them being Bournemouth’s Joshua King – with Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s side reportedly having a bid turned down.
However, according to the Daily Record, United held a serious interest in King’s teammate Fraser, with Solskjaer’s agent Jim Solbakken handling the club’s inquiry into the Scotland international’s availability.
Bournemouth were willing to let Fraser go for around £15m last month, with the club facing the prospect of losing him for free in the summer when his contract expires.
The newspaper says that United did not turn their initial interest into a formal bid and chose instead to move for King, with a £25m bid being rejected by the Cherries for the Norwegian.
It is also claimed that while signing a winger would have been seen as a good deal for United, the main priority was a striker, with Ighalo announced early on Saturday morning.
Elsewhere, King is said to have been left frustrated after losing out on a return to Old Trafford.
The Athletic claims that following United’s second bid of around £25m being rejected, King was hopeful that a third bid that would see Bournemouth be tempted to cash in would arrive.
Additionally, King’s frustrations were compounded by the Norwegian’s belief that a move for Ighalo seemed unlikely and a stretch for United.