Lille have in fact had no contact with Manchester United about a deal to bring director of football Luis Campos to Old Trafford, according to reports.
United, who have been criticised heavily in the past for not appointing someone of Campos’ ilk to oversee the club’s recruitment, currently have Ed Woodward acting as the final say in operations.
However, Woodward has also come in for harsh words with Gary Neville again slating the executive vice-chairman following Sunday’s defeat to Liverpool.
Previous reports have indicated that United have been on the lookout for a director of football for the past 18 months and chose not to go for Campos while Jose Mourinho was at the helm.
It was claimed that Campos is firmly on United’s radar and the club could move for him soon.
The source says that Campos does not intend to leave Lille and has a strong relationship with owner Gerard Lopez.
Campos’ work with Monaco saw him step into the limelight as a trusted sporting director, having been responsible for building a team featuring the likes of Kylian Mbappe, Fabinho and Bernardo Silva.
Campos then moved to Lille, where he helped bring Nicolas Pepe – now of Arsenal – onto the radar of top European clubs.
Elsewhere, Ajax midfielder Donny van de Beek, who has been linked with a move to United, has denied reports that he has been offered a contract by Real Madrid.
The Dutchman is one of the star players in Ajax’s side and was nominated for the Ballon d’Or last year after a stunning campaign.
Asked about the speculation linking him with Madrid, he said: “There is no contract. That is the situation.
“That has not changed throughout the season.”