Sadio Mane responds as links to Real Madrid gather pace

Date published: Saturday 7th July 2018 7:32 - Matthew Briggs

Liverpool forward Sadio Mane has acknowledged Real Madrid are a “great team”, but says he has had no contact from Real Madrid.

Liverpool were last month said to be nonplussed after branding transfer claims in the French media about Sadio Mane as “nonsense”.

France Football suggested Senegal forward Mane had agreed to join Real Madrid this summer, but the doubt, at the time, surrounding the future of Zinedine Zidane had put the deal in doubt.

Zidane has since been replaced by Julen Lopetegui at the Bernabeu, but Mane continues to be linked with Los Blancos with Cristiano Ronaldo seemingly close to a move to Juventus.

Juve responded to that talk by releasing a statement revealing they are “evaluating several opportunities” amid talk they have made an £88m bid for the Portugal star.

Mane and Chelsea star Eden Hazard have been mentioned as replacements for Ronaldo, but Mane, who impressed against Madrid in the Champions League final, says he has had no contact with the La Liga side.

“These are just rumours. I am not aware of anything and haven’t been contacted,” he told reporters on a visit to his hometown of Bambali.

“I remain a Liverpool player and I will join my team-mates in the United States for the pre-season tour.

“Real are a great team, but I am focused on my team, Liverpool.”

Mane, who scored for Senegal at the World Cup in Russia, is still on holiday and not expected back at Liverpool until later in the month.

 

Related Articles

HAVE YOUR SAY IN OUR FORUM