Alexis Sanchez has had a hand in a goal a game over the last 25 matches, while Jamie Vardy and Harry Kane have had no joy against this weekend’s opponents…
Premier League Opta stats
Watford v Everton
Saturday 10 December 2016 (12:30)
Vicarage Road, Watford
- Watford haven’t beaten Everton in any competition since March 1987, when they won 2-1 at Vicarage Road. Luther Blissett and Mark Falco scored for Watford that day.
- Everton are unbeaten in 11 successive games against Watford – they had won nine in a row before drawing both Premier League meetings last season.
- The Toffees have won just one point in their last five Premier League away matches (W0 D1 L4) and have netted just two goals in this run.
- Romelu Lukaku has only scored in four of his last 18 Premier League away appearances (six goals in total).
- Despite being only 23 years old, Romelu Lukaku is looking to score against his 22nd different opponent in the Premier League – he’s not scored in two previous PL apps versus Watford.
- Yannick Bolasie will miss this match (and the foreseeable future) through injury – the DR Congo winger has assisted the most league goals for Everton this season (4) and has fired in 82 open play crosses; 55 more than any other Toffees’ player.
- Watford have conceded a league-high 11 goals from opposition crosses this season.
- The Hornets have kept only one clean sheet in their last 12 Premier League home matches, but they have only failed to score twice themselves in this run as well.
- Gareth Barry could make his 609th Premier League appearance in this match, tying level with Frank Lampard (609) in the all-time PL apps chart. Only Ryan Giggs (632) has made more.
- Watford have already seen more players score for them in the Premier League this season (9) than in the entire 2015-16 league campaign (8).
- The Hornets have been given a league-high 10 yellow cards for dissent in the Premier League so far this season.
Arsenal v Stoke City
Saturday 10 December 2016 (15:00)
Emirates Stadium, London
- Arsenal have won each of their last 14 home games in all competitions against Stoke City, keeping eight clean sheets in the process.
- Stoke’s last away league win at Arsenal came in the first game of the 1981/82 season, with Lee Chapman scoring the only goal of the game.
- Arsenal are now on a 13-game unbeaten run in the Premier League (W9 D4 L0); their longest such run in the competition since a run of 16 games that ended in April 2011.
- Stoke City have lost only one of their last nine Premier League games (W5 D3 L1) and have won their last two matches in the competition without conceding a goal.
- The Potters have lost all eight of their visits to the Emirates in the Premier League. Only at Old Trafford have they gone longer without a win since being promoted in 2008 (nine games, W0 D1 L8).
- Alexis Sanchez scored twice and assisted another goal in Arsenal’s 3-0 win over Stoke in January 2015.
- Sanchez has had a hand in 25 goals in his last 25 Premier League appearances for Arsenal (18 goals, seven assists).
- This is Sanchez’s joint-best goal return after 14 apps of a league season in Europe (11 goals), equalling his 11-goal tally for Barcelona in 2013-14. If he scores in this game, it would be his best goalscoring start to a European league season after 15 games.
- Peter Crouch has scored eight times against Arsenal in the Premier League – only against Blackburn does he have as many goals in the competition.
- The Gunners have made a higher proportion of their passes in the final third of the pitch than any other team in the Premier League so far this season (36.5%).
Burnley v Bournemouth
Saturday 10 December 2016 (15:00)
Turf Moor, Burnley
- Burnley have never lost at Turf Moor to Bournemouth in any competition (W7 D6 L0).
- The Cherries are winless in their last six games in all competitions against Burnley (D3 L3), last beating them 5-0 in November 1998 when both sides were in the third tier.
- Between his two spells as Bournemouth manager Eddie Howe was in charge at Burnley, winning 34 of his 87 league games with the Clarets (39%).
- This will be the first time the sides have met in the top-flight and will be the 822nd different matchup in Premier League history.
- Bournemouth will be looking to record back-to-back Premier League victories for the first time since March – on each of the last five occasions that they have won a match in the competition, they have failed to win their next game.
- Burnley are on a run of three successive defeats in the Premier League and they have conceded eight goals in these games, while only netting once themselves.
- Burnley have allowed their opponents the highest number of shots on target in the Premier League this season (91) while attempting the second fewest themselves (37) behind Middlesbrough (36).
- These two clubs have used the most English players in the Premier League this season; both giving appearances to 13 different Englishmen.
- Should Jack Wilshere play at least 63 minutes in this match for Bournemouth, he would have been on the pitch for more minutes in this Premier League season than in 2015-16 and 2014-15 combined (873 mins).
- Bournemouth have hit the woodwork on 13 occasions in the Premier League this season; more often than any other team.
- Burnley have failed to score in a league-high seven matches so far this season.
Hull City v Crystal Palace
Saturday 10 December 2016 (15:00)
KCOM Stadium, Hull
- Hull City beat Crystal Palace twice by a 2-0 scoreline in 2014/15, while the Eagles won both Premier League meetings in 2013/14 by a single goal each time.
- Palace have failed to score more than once in each of their last seven visits to Hull in the league.
- The Tigers haven’t won three successive league games against Palace since 1985 (five consecutive victories).
- Hull City won more points in their opening two Premier League games this season (6) than they have in their subsequent 12 games (5).
- This will be Alan Pardew’s 300th Premier League game as a manager and will be the fifth English manager to reach this milestone after Harry Redknapp (641), Sam Allardyce (467), Steve Bruce (392) and Alan Curbishley (328).
- Crystal Palace have made a league-high 542 long balls in the Premier League so far this season.
- Christian Benteke has been involved in an average of 17 aerial duels per game this season in the Premier League; more than any other player.
- Christian Benteke has the same tally of goals in his last 12 Premier League appearances as Hull City have scored in their last 12 Premier League games (7).
- Jason Puncheon has created 15 goalscoring chances for Christian Benteke in the Premier League this season; more than any other player for a single teammate.
- Hull City have averaged just 11.9 touches in the opposition box per game so far this season; the lowest average in the big five European Leagues.
- The Tigers have allowed their opponents a league-high 26 shots on goal following set-pieces this season in the Premier League.
- These two clubs have conceded the most goals from set-pieces this season in the Premier League – Crystal Palace (13) and Hull City (12).
Swansea City v Sunderland
Saturday 10 December 2016 (15:00)
Liberty Stadium, Swansea
- Swansea have only lost one of their last eight Premier League matches against Sunderland, though that was this exact fixture last January (W2 D5).
- David Moyes has never lost in the Premier League against Swansea, winning five of his six games against them (W5 D1 L0).
- Jermain Defoe has scored five times in three Premier League games against Swansea for Sunderland, including a hat-trick the last time the sides met in January.
- Defoe has scored 24 Premier League goals in the month of December – only Wayne Rooney (31), Robbie Fowler (33) and Alan Shearer (39) have more.
- Since the start of last season, Jermain Defoe has scored 14 goals in 22 Premier League appearances away from home, averaging a goal every 130 minutes on the road.
- This is Swansea’s worst start to a Premier League season after 14 matches (nine points) and is five points fewer than they had at this stage in 2015-16 (14).
- Only three players have scored a Premier League goal for Sunderland this season: Defoe (8), Anichebe (3) and van Aanholt (2) – every other side have had at least five different goalscorers.
- Swansea City have allowed their opponents a league-high 11 attempts from fast breaks, with two of these resulting in goals.
- Since Bob Bradley took charge of the Swans on October 3rd, they have conceded the most goals in the Premier League (19).
- Sunderland have won three of their last four Premier League matches (W3 D0 L1) – their previous three league wins came over a period of 22 games (W3 D9 L10).
Leicester City v Manchester City
Saturday 10 December 2016 (17:30)
King Power Stadium, Leicester
- Manchester City haven’t lost an away game to Leicester in the Premier League (D2 L3), with their last top-flight league defeat in Leicester coming in March 1987.
- Claudio Ranieri has won seven of his eight Premier League games against Manchester City, with the only draw coming at the King Power Stadium last season.
- Manchester City have won their last six fixtures against defending champions in the Premier League, last losing to Chelsea in March 2011.
- Jamie Vardy has scored against 20 of the 23 different teams he’s faced in the Premier League, but Manchester City are one of the three opponents he’s yet to net against in the competition (4 apps, 0 goals), alongside Hull City & Middlesbrough.
- Riyad Mahrez has created just one goalscoring chance for Jamie Vardy in the Premier League this season so far, despite them playing 939 mins together. Last season, the Algerian created 22 chances for him (with five of those being assists) in 2815 mins together on the pitch – one every 128 mins.
- Robert Huth scored twice for Leicester in their 3-1 win over Manchester City last season, in what was their first league win over the Citizens since November 2003.
- In the last five Premier League matches that Sergio Aguero hasn’t appeared in for Manchester City, Nigerian striker Kelechi Iheanacho has scored five goals.
- Man City goalkeeper Claudio Bravo has been passed to on 245 occasions this season – more often than any other ‘keeper in the Premier League.
- Manchester City have won their last six league meetings with the reigning Premier League champions – winning home and away against Manchester United in 2011-12 & 2013-14 and against Chelsea in 2015-16.
- This is Pep Guardiola’s lowest points tally after 14 games of a top-flight season as a manager (30); surpassing his 31-point tally after 14 MD’s of Barcelona’s 2011-12 La Liga campaign.
- Manchester City have made the most changes to their starting XI overall this season in the Premier League (46). Whilst in charge of Bayern Munich, the German side made the second most last season (111), while they made more than any other side in both 2013-14 (120) and 2014-15 (106).
Chelsea v West Bromwich Albion
Sunday 11 December 2016 (12:00)
Stamford Bridge, London
- Chelsea are unbeaten in 10 previous Premier League games at Stamford Bridge against the Baggies, but have drawn against them in two of the last three seasons (W8 D2).
- West Bromwich Albion have not won a league game away to Chelsea since September 1978 (D3 L10).
- The Blues have scored in each of their last 21 home league games against West Brom, last failing to find the net against them in December 1967.
- Cesar Azpilicueta scored in both games against West Brom last season, scoring the opener in a 2-2 draw at Stamford Bridge and the Chelsea’s third in a 3-2 win at the Hawthorns.
- Tony Pulis has only lost one of his last four Premier League games against Chelsea (W2 D1), this after losing nine of his first 11 Premier League games against the Blues (D2).
- Chelsea have come from behind to win their last two Premier League games – only four clubs have ever done this in three consecutive games (Leeds in 1997-98, Newcastle in 2001-02, Man Utd in 2002-03 and Arsenal with four in 2011-12).
- Eden Hazard’s next Premier League goal will be his 50th – if he scores in this game, he’ll have reached this landmark in 153 apps and will be the joint-third quickest to score 50 PL goals for Chelsea alongside Eidur Gudjohnsen. Only Didier Drogba (106 apps) and Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink (84 apps) have done it quicker for the Blues.
- Since the start of 2013-14, Diego Costa has scored 70 goals in 103 league appearances (Premier League and La Liga combined).
- Chelsea have made only eight changes to their starting XI in the Premier League overall this season; a league-low. After 14 games last season under Jose Mourinho, they’d made 35.
- West Bromwich Albion have won 20 points from their 14 matches so far this season; their second best tally at this stage of a Premier League season, after 2012-13 (26 points).
- Mike Dean has awarded the most penalties (9) and given the most red cards (3) of all the Premier League referees so far this season.
Manchester United v Tottenham Hotspur
Sunday 11 December 2016 (14:15)
Old Trafford, Manchester
- Manchester United have won only two of their last eight Premier League contests against Spurs (D3 L3).
- Spurs’ 3-0 win over Manchester United in April at White Hart Lane was their biggest win over the Red Devils in the Premier League since January 1996 (4-1).
- However, Tottenham have lost 19 times at Old Trafford in the Premier League (W2 D3), their most defeats at a visiting ground.
- Spurs are one of seven teams Wayne Rooney has scored 10+ Premier League goals against.
- The away team has failed to score in each of the last four Premier League games between Manchester United and Tottenham.
- Manchester United’s players have covered just 1490.6km overall in the Premier League this season combined – lower than any other team in the competition.
- Harry Kane has scored against 21 of the 24 different opponents that he has faced in the Premier League, but is yet to score against Man Utd in five apps. The other teams that he has played but not scored against in the competition are Watford (2 apps, 0 goals) and Cardiff City (2 apps, 0 goals).
- Kane has now scored seven goals in his last six Premier League appearances – this after failing to score in his previous five in a row.
- Harry Kane has scored eight goals and assisted one more in his last 10 Premier League appearances in the month of December.
- Tottenham Hotspur’s average starting XI age this season in the Premier League is 25 years, 238 days old – the youngest in the competition.
- Zlatan Ibrahimovic has scored 71 goals in 70 league home appearances since the start of 2012-13 (Premier League and Ligue 1 combined).
- In fact, Ibrahimovic has scored 34 goals in his last 34 league appearances in the month of December (Premier League, Serie A, La Liga and Ligue 1 combined).
Southampton v Middlesbrough
Sunday 11 December 2016 (14:15)
St. Mary’s Stadium, Southampton
- This will be the first Premier League game between Southampton and Middlesbrough since March 2005, which Saints won 3-1 at the Riverside Stadium.
- However, this is Boro’s only loss to the Saints in seven previous Premier League meetings (W2 D4).
- Southampton haven’t won a top-flight home game against Middlesbrough since September 1996. They won 4-0 thanks to goals from Matt Le Tissier (2), Matt Oakley and Gordon Watson.
- Southampton have allowed their opponents just 35 shots on target in the Premier League this season; the best record in the competition in 2016-17 so far.
- Middlesbrough have mustered a league-low 36 shots on target this season after 14 matchdays.
- There have been just 28 goals in games involving Southampton and Middlesbrough this season – no side has seen fewer goals scored in their Premier League matches in 2016-17.
- Five of Charlie Austin’s six Premier League goal this season have been the opening goal of the game. Only Sergio Aguero (also 5) has scored the first goal of a Premier League match as often this season.
- Austin has scored six goals in his last 10 appearances – his previous six Premier League goals came over a period of 26 games.
- Saints have scored just three goals from 20 shots on target in their last six Premier League matches combined.
- This will be the 12th time in their last 18 Premier League matches that Southampton will have played on a Sunday. They have already played more Premier League games on a Sunday than any other team this season (8).
Liverpool v West Ham United
Sunday 11 December 2016 (16:30)
- Liverpool’s loss to West Ham at Anfield in August 2015 was their first home defeat to them in the Premier League (W14 D5).
- West Ham did the league double over Liverpool last season for the first time since 1963/64. They’ve never won three consecutively in the league over Liverpool.
- In fact, Liverpool didn’t win any of their four games against West Ham last season, losing an FA Cup 4th round replay to them also (D1 L3).
- West Ham scored as many goals in their last league visit to Anfield (3) as they had in their previous 13 league games there.
- Daniel Sturridge has scored four times in six Premier League games against West Ham, although only one of those goals has been scored at Anfield.
- There were two red cards given in this exact fixture last season, with Philippe Coutinho and Mark Noble dismissed.
- West Ham United have lost a league-high 10 points from winning positions in the Premier League this season.
- The Hammers have made six individual errors leading to opposition goals in the Premier League this season; more than any other team.
- Former Liverpool striker Andy Carroll has scored 44 Premier League goals, with exactly half of these being netted with his head (22). Of players to have scored 40+ Premier League goals, only Duncan Ferguson, Tim Cahill, Kenwyne Jones and John Terry have scored a higher proportion with their head.
- The previous three Premier League games to involve Liverpool and to be played on a Sunday this season have all produced seven goals (21 in total).