Dyche explains thinking as Burnley trigger contract extension for Brady

Date published: Thursday 21st May 2020 4:07

Burnley have exercised their option to extend Robbie Brady’s contract until the summer 0f 2021, it has been confirmed.

The 28-year-old Republic of Ireland international has made 63 appearances for the Clarets since joining from Norwich in January 2017, despite missing most of 2018 with a knee injury which sidelined him for 10 months.

Since then Brady has faced competition for his place from the emergence of Dwight McNeil, but a club statement said he “remains a key component of (Sean) Dyche’s plans”.

Dyche told the Burnley club website: “He’s had a bit of a tough time with injuries, unfortunately.

“Hopefully, this break will give him another chance to get another block of fitness in to be ready for when this starts again.

“In the meantime, we have taken an option on him because we thought it was the right thing to do for now and for going forwards for next season.

“We don’t know what the next challenge is going to be, although if we can finish this season obviously that helps for the running of clubs and finance etc.

“It’s important our own group is looked after the best we can and I think it’s another step in the right direction on that side.

“No-one quite knows how the market is going to manifest itself. The one thing you do want to do is control the controllables.

“There are situations we can control. Robbie is one of them and then it’s down to the chairman to start looking at the other situations in due course that we can affect, and I think that will be important.”

 

 

Related Articles

HAVE YOUR SAY IN OUR FORUM