Sergio Aguero on brink of joining next club after agents receive contract

Date published: Monday 19th April 2021 5:18 - Rob McCarthy

Man City legend Sergio Aguero is reportedly on the verge of signing for Barcelona, with his agents receiving a contract that just needs to be signed.

The 32-year-old is in the final few months of his City contract. And the Argentine ended speculation about his Etihad future by announcing he will leave the club after 10 years this summer. The race has been on for his signature, with Tottenham and Chelsea both showing interest, but it looks as if Barca have won out.

Aguero, who will turn 33 in June, still has plenty to offer at the top level. That is despite being hit by injuries in the latter part of his career.

Any hopes of the prolific frontman remaining in England were seemingly ended though when Barcelona registered their interest.

The forward had five-year spell at Atletico Madrid from 2006 and wants to try his luck in Spain again.


GET ALL YOUR MANCHESTER CITY MERCHANDISE HERE – DISCOUNTS AVAILABLE


Aguero joined City in 2011 and became the club’s record goalscorer, so far notching 257 goals for the Citizens.

Despite currently being sidelined, Aguero still hopes to end his City stay with more silverware.

Pep Guardiola’s men face Tottenham in the Carabao Cup final, while they are also in the Champions League semis.

The Premier League title is also close to being won, with City eight points clear with six games to go.

Aguero could be part of a substantial turnover of talent at the Nou Camp. Ronald Koeman is looking to strengthen across all areas of the pitch. He also wants Liverpool’s Gini Wijnaldum and Lyon playmaker Memphis Depay.

Woodward slammed of ESL plans

UEFA president Aleksander Ceferin has branded Manchester United chief Ed Woodward a “snake” over his European Super League plans.

Twelve clubs, including United, made the bombshell announcement on Sunday that they intend to break away and form their own competition. Liverpool, Manchester City, Chelsea Tottenham and Arsenal have also signed up. Indeed, the big three in Spain and Italy make up the 12 “founding” members.

Widespread condemnation followed initial reports of the news, before the announcement late on Sunday night.

Ed Woodward sits in stands at Manchester United. TEAMtalk

UEFA insisted in a joint statement with the FA and the Premier League that they would look to ban teams from their domestic competitions.

What’s more, they would prevent players from featuring for their country if the plans went ahead.

Ceferin, who is at the heart of UEFA’s rally against the move, voiced his disgust at a press conference.

Juve chief also in firing line

Ceferin also slammed slammed United executive vice-chairman Woodward and Juventus’ Andrea Agnelli for going behind his back with their own agenda.

“I didn’t have much contact with [Woodward] but he called me last Thursday in the evening saying that he’s very satisfied with the reforms, that he fully supports the reforms, and that the only thing he would like to speak about is about financial fair play,” he said.

“And obviously he already signed something else.”

On Juve chairman Agnelli, Ceferin said (via Twitter): “He’s probably one of the biggest disappointments. Or the biggest disappointment of all.

“I don’t want to be too personal. But the fact is that I’ve never seen a person that would lie so many times, so persistently that he did was unbelievable.”

 

Related Articles

HAVE YOUR SAY IN OUR FORUM