Sevilla chief explains why tempting West Ham bid for star striker fell short

Date published: Tuesday 9th February 2021 8:10 - Neil Foster

Youssef En-Nesyri

Sevilla rejected West Ham’s bid for striker Youssef En-Nesyri in January as it did not meet their ‘sporting satisfaction’.

The Hammers made no secret of the desire to lure the 23-year-old to London. David Moyes was keen to add a striker to his ranks after Sebastien Haller’s move to Ajax.

They made a reported £27m bid for the Morocco international and then returned with an improved offer. However, both were rejected by the La Liga outfit.

It later emerged that the player had no intention of leaving Ramon Sanchez Pizjuan Stadium. His agent, Anass Ouzifi, explained that even a huge hike in his wages would not alter the situation.

He told ABC Sevilla in January (via Sports Witness): “They asked me what was Youssef’s situation. I told them directly that it didn’t matter, that Youssef didn’t want to leave Sevilla, that he wouldn’t.

“They insisted and told me if they could offer something. I explained the situation well to them. Youssef is very happy in Seville, very grateful to the club and his teammates. Feels the affection of the fans.”

And the club’s sporting director Monchi has now lifted the lid on the finances involved. It seems as though the Premier League club were in the right ballpark but could not meet the required criteria.

“What they offered us, I am not saying it was ridiculous because it was not, but it did not satisfy our sporting satisfaction, the negotiation lasted one day,” he told Diario de Sevilla (via Sport Witness).

“We were blunt, and there was no second offer.”

Hammers to return with summer bid?

En-Nesyri has enjoyed a breakthrough season in Spain. Having scored six goals from 26 appearances last term, he has already bagged 17 in 2020-2021.

It seems inevitable that clubs will start circling at the end of the season. Whether the Hammers follow up their initial interest only time will tell.

But Sevilla might up his price tag should his stellar form continue. They are said to want to raise €43m for their own recruitment and the sale of the African would cover that sum.

It will come down to whether the player wants to leave his present surroundings. It seems obvious he did not want to go last month but things could change in the summer.

The prospect of playing in England’s top division with twice the salary might eventually turn his head.

READ MORE: Moyes explains West Ham winter transfer policy

 

Related Articles

HAVE YOUR SAY IN OUR FORUM