Sheffield United hopes boosted as Liverpool ace misses EFL rout

Date published: Friday 25th September 2020 1:24 - Dave Tindall

Rhian Brewster, Harry Wilson

Sheffield United’s hopes of signing Rhian Brewster were boosted after the striker was left out of Liverpool’s matchday squad for the 7-2 Carabao Cup hammering of Lincoln.

The fixture against the League One outfit looked a perfect opportunity to give Brewster some game time.

Several other Reds stars hoping to push their claims for more Premier League action took advantage.

Xherdan Shaqiri scored a brilliant free-kick to put Liverpool in front. And there were doubles for Curtis Jones and Takumi Minamino.

Divock Origi was also given a rare start and rounded off the scoring with Liverpool’s seventh.

But Brewster was nowhere to be seen, fuelling speculation that a move away from Anfield in the current transfer window is imminent.

Sheffield United are believed to be leading the race. And the Independent report that Blades boss Chris Wilder had another discussion about Brewster with Jurgen Klopp on Wednesday.

The Bramall Lane outfit have failed to score in either of their Premier League starts so far. And Wilder knows he needs a goal threat.

He said: “We need somebody in the building. I’ve said that to the board, that we need to add to the group.

“We’re after a centre forward and there’s a few out there. We need to add. We’ve got a little bit of time to get someone in, which we need to do.”

Brewster scored 10 goals in 20 appearances for Swansea in the Championship last season.

Swansea are keen to have him back but realise several Premier League clubs are above them in the pecking order.

Aston Villa are keen and have just allowed Mbwana Samatta to depart which could open up a space. Brighton, Crystal Palace and Leeds have also shown plenty of interest.

Liverpool rate Brewster at around £25m and are insisting on a buy-back deal being included.

Whether Sheffield United choose that option or persuade the Merseysiders into a loan deal remains unclear. But they are keen to reach an agreement soon before others step in.

Klopp was asked about the Brewster transfer rumours in his Friday press conference ahead of the home game with Arsenal. But the Liverpool boss was keeping his cards close to his chest.

“We don’t really speak about transfer rumours,” said Klopp.

“He wasn’t in the squad, right. You can make of it what you want. It’s nothing really to say, otherwise we have to talk constantly about these things and we don’t do that. So no news.”

Burnley open talks with Harry Wilson

Meanwhile, Harry Wilson was another prospect left out by Liverpool against Lincoln on Thursday night.

And it’s emerged that Burnley have opened discussions with the champions over the Welsh international. The two clubs are yet to agree a fee

A switch would end the winger’s 14-year stay at Anfield after he joined the club’s Under-9s.

In that time, though, Wilson has made just one appearance for the Reds, against Plymouth in the FA Cup in 2017.

He spent last season on loan at Bournemouth, scoring seven goals in 35 games. However he could not help the Cherries beat relegation from the Premier League.

The 23-year-old has also had spells at Crewe, Hull and Derby, almost guiding the Rams to the Premier League in 2019.

Related Articles

HAVE YOUR SAY IN OUR FORUM