Atletico target Mourinho favourite amid worrying exit claims

Date published: Thursday 25th February 2021 3:29 - James Marshment

Giovani Lo Celso Tottenham

Atletico Madrid coach Diego Simeone is reported to have made Giovani Lo Celso a top summer target amid what could prove a worrying claim made about the midfielder.

Lo Celso has emerged as a key figure for Tottenham under Jose Mourinho. He was a regular in their side until suffering a serious hamstring injury against Leicester back in December. Indeed, his absence – which coincided with a spell on the sidelines for Sergio Reguilon – has been blamed on Tottenham’s slump.

Mourinho’s men had topped the table 10 games ago – but a worrying run of results has seen them slip to ninth. That has seen the pressure increase on Mourinho. Indeed, recent defeats to West Ham and Man City has done little to dampen claims he could be replaced.

Lo Celso still remains a few weeks away from a return to action – much to the disappointment of Mourinho.

However, the siuation could get far worse with Todofijaches claiming Simeone has made Lo Celso his No 1 target at Atletico. The Spanish outlet claims Simeone wants his fellow Argentinian to step into the midfield shoes of Lucas Torreira.

Torreira is on a season-long loan deal from Arsenal. However, the Uruguayan seems unlikely to make the move permanent. Instead, Torreira looks destined to return to Serie A with a move said to be close.

Of more concern for Spurs and Mourinho is that Todofijaches claims Lo Celso has set his heart on a return to La Liga this summer. He starred for Real Betis and he’s said to be keen to play under El Cholo’s command.

It’s suggested Atleti could offer Geoffrey Kondogbia in a part exchange to Tottenham to help sweeten the loss of the fans’ favourite.

Spurs and Mourinho will hope the story is a load of nonsense, with Lo Celso a big player in their plans.

Their immediate target will be to get the 24-year-old back out on the field.

Asked earlier this month if his return was close, Mourinho wasn’t sure.


Subscribe for free to TEAMtalk’s daily newsletter…


“I don’t know. Not close,” he said on Lo Celso last week. “I think [Sergio] Reguilon next week against Wolfsberger home match.

“Not Gio. No, no, no. Gio is still a few weeks away and of course we need him because he gives us lots of qualities and options and we’ve missed him for a long time.”

Shunned Tottenham star seeks exit

Paulo Gazzaniga TEAMtalk

It could be a big summer of change at Tottenham with shunned goalkeeper Paulo Gazzaniga also reportedly set for talks over his future.

Spurs look set to offload the Argentine, who has not got a look in behind Hugo Lloris and Joe Hart this term.

The 29-year-old was completely left out of Mourinho’s Premier League squad, with youngster Alfie Whiteman preferred.

That led to not one single appearance in any competition for Spurs during the current campaign.

After failing to secure him a summer exit, Spurs agreed a loan deal with Spanish outfit Elche in January.

However, he has yet to feature for the LaLiga side, with reports stating that he will be moved on permanently at the end of the season.

READ MORE: Tottenham draw up plan to replace key man with 20-year-old

 

Related Articles

HAVE YOUR SAY IN OUR FORUM