Skrtel tells £58m Liverpool target to fight for his place in Italy

Date published: Friday 7th August 2020 7:07

Sergej Milinkovic-Savic, Milan Skriniar

Former Liverpool defender Martin Skrtel thinks Milan Skriniar should stay at Internazionale and fight for his future at the San Siro.

Liverpool are one of a few teams showing an interest in Skriniar as Jurgen Klopp looks to replace Dejan Lovren.

Italian outlet Gazetta claim the Reds have compiled a dossier about the centre-back.

They are not the only ones interested in the centre-back though, who was benched several times towards the end of the season.

The Slovakia international has been out of form and watched from the sidelines on Wednesday as Antonio Conte’s side defeated Getafe in the Europa League.

Manchester United and Manchester City are also believed to have an interest in the 25-year-old, who is under contract until 2023.

Tuttosport claimed recently that United had ‘tabled a €65m (£58m) offer’ for the player. That has matched the bid on the table from City.

Inter are apparently not intending to sell the defender.

And his fellow Slovakian Skrtel, who made 320 appearances for Liverpool, says he should stay with the Nerazzurri.

 

 

Skrtel told SempreInter: “There are moments in life of every player where things go really well, but there are also moments where things don’t go as planned. When this happens it is important for a player to react. Skriniar is going through something similar to this at Inter.

“In recent games he has lost his role as a starter and there is more and more talk about the fact that he could leave the club. (But) he is still young and he should remain strong and fight for his recovery.

“Although there is the interest of English and Spanish clubs, the best solution for him would be to stay at Inter, where he has built a great name for himself.

“I know Milan and I think he will fight for his place in the team and return in the new season. Milan must remain calm and work even more in training to convince Conte to put him in the line-up. Nobody doubts his qualities.”

£10m bid rebuffed

Jamal Lewis TEAMtalk

Meanwhile, Liverpool have seen an offer of £10m for Norwich left-back Jamal Lewis turned down, according to reports.

The Athletic reporter James Pearce claimed on Thursday afternoon that the Reds had submitted an offer for the 22-year-old left-back.

Paul Joyce of The Times later claimed that bid had been rebuffed, while Pearce also relayed the same news.

Liverpool’s offer is believed to have included a “substantial sell-on clause” for the Northern Ireland international.

READ MORE…

Related Articles

HAVE YOUR SAY IN OUR FORUM