Mourinho explains why there is no danger of Man Utd sack

Date published: Monday 3rd September 2018 12:09

Jose Mourinho says he does not fear the sack at Manchester United because of the huge compensation package the club would be obliged to pay him.

The Portuguese boss eased the pressure on him with a resounding 2-0 win at Burnley on Sunday, but questions remain about his capability to lead United into a new era.

Mourinho signed a new contract with Manchester United to keep him at the club until 2020, with the option of a further year back in January this year, but the club’s unspectacular start to the season has seen the pressure crank up on the 55-year-old.

The boss’ apparent break down of his relationship with Paul Pogba has also seen tensions at the club rise with the press quick to point the finger at Mourinho after an unspectacular summer in the transfer market.

Mourinho quickly demanded respect from the media last week and reminded them of his three English titles, and yesterday he piled praise on United’s fans – just hours after a banner which read “Ed Woodward a specialist in failure” was flown over Turf Moor.

Mourinho, though, despite all United’s troubles says he does not fear the sack because Woodward would face paying him a huge amount in compensation for the remaining two years of his contract.

BURNLEY, ENGLAND - SEPTEMBER 02: A banner reading 'Ed Woodward a specialist in failure!' is flown over the stadium prior to the Premier League match between Burnley FC and Manchester United at Turf Moor on September 2, 2018 in Burnley, United Kingdom. (Photo by Jan Kruger/Getty Images)

When asked whether Mourinho feared the chop, he told Italian site La Repubblica: “If they sent me away, do you have any idea how much money they would have to give me?!”

“They say I’m in danger, but I don’t think so.”

Mourinho was also asked whether he had paid for the plane to fly the banner over Burnley’s ground on Sunday, he jokingly replied: “No… but I could have!”

 

Related Articles

HAVE YOUR SAY IN OUR FORUM