Ex-Manchester United coach Rene Meulensteen says his former side should have targeted a move for Harry Kane instead of Jadon Sancho.
United’s chase for Borussia Dortmund winger Sancho has stepped up in recent days after heavy speculation. The two clubs reportedly remain locked in talks over a transfer fee.
The Red Devils earmarked a right-sided player – specifically Sancho – as their top target a while back. However, Dortmund – who want £108million – are proving difficult negotiators.
Aside from Sancho, reports have linked several other attackers with a move to Old Trafford, including Tottenham striker Kane. The England captain previously admitted he could move on if the circumstances were right.
Speaking to talkSPORT, Meulensteen said a move for Kane would have made more sense than for Sancho.
“They’re bringing Jadon Sancho in, but more than anything, I would have gone for a more prolific out-and-out striker, somebody like Harry Kane,” the Dutchman said.
“There is so much creativity coming from midfield with [Bruno] Fernandes, [Paul] Pogba, [Marcus] Rashford, [Anthony] Martial… they can all contribute to goalscoring.
“But [they need] somebody in the middle who’s going to score 25-plus goals. That will close the gap for United.”
As well as Rashford and Martial’s recent form, Mason Greenwood impressed in his debut season at Old Trafford.
The 18-year-old scored 10 Premier League goals in 34 games and could yet prove crucial again in the Europa League.
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s side are through to the quarter-finals of the rescheduled mini-tournament. Martial netted as United beat LASK 2-1 on Wednesday, 7-1 on aggregate.
SANCHEZ COMPLETES MOVE TO INTER
Elsewhere, Alexis Sanchez has completed a long-mooted permanent move to Inter Milan.
The 31-year-old was not part of Solskjaer’s plans, after moving to Italy on loan last summer.
However, after much speculation, Inter have now sealed a three-year deal for the Chilean.