Southampton are reportedly keen on bringing in Manchester United’s Brandon Williams, who is struggling for game time this season
The defender has been linked with a temporary switch to the Saints in January by the Telegraph.
The source says Ralph Hassenhuttl wants to encourage competition for full-back Ryan Bertrand.
It also claims that Southampton made an approach for the youngster during the summer but were dismissed.
Williams, 20, has been starved of game time this season starting just two League Cup games.
Indeed, he has only played six minutes from Premier League football, coming on as a substitute in the dramatic 3-2 victory over Southampton.
Since the arrival of Alex Telles in the summer, the defender has slipped down to third-choice left-back with Luke Shaw being the preferred option.
Since his debut last year, Williams has played 41 times for United and signed a new four-year deal during the off-season.
Therefore a January exit will only be temporary with the talent very much part of the club’s future plans.
Williams featured in United’s under-23 side on Sunday as he helped them to a 2-2 draw with arch rivals Manchester City.
Team head coach Neil Wood told the Manchester Evening News that it was about building up his match fitness.
“Brandon has been training for the first team, but he wanted to play and it was good for his match sharpness to play, a good game for him to play in,” he said.
“It would benefit anyone, 90 minutes up and down. He’ll go back with the first team and hopefully he’s involved in the next game with them.”
Eriksen to snub Red Devils
Meanwhile, former Tottenham midfielder Christian Eriksen is to turn down the opportunity to join Manchester United.
The Dane reportedly instead favours a move to Paris Saint-Germain with Inter Milan already keen to offload the playmaker.
The Italian giants have slapped a £27million price tag on him with reports linking him to a Premier League return.
However, it is thought that the 28-year-old would rather not return to English football again.