England forward Raheem Sterling has laughed at comments from Leonardo Bonucci after Moise Kean was racially abused last night.
The Italy international, 19, was abused all night by sections of the home support, with monkey chants aimed at him.
Kean, though, had the final say when scoring Juve’s second goal of the 2-0 win with five minutes left before standing next to the post, his arms spread in defiant response to the abuse coming from the stands behind – which only continued to grow louder.
Juventus captain Giorgio Chiellini led the player protests to referee Piero Giacomelli, who also spoke to both managers.
Meanwhile, Cagliari skipper Luca Ceppitelli appealed directly to the home fans behind the goal for the offensive chants to stop.
Juve’s France midfielder Blaise Matuidi appeared to gesture to manager Allegri he should take his players off.
There was a delay of around some three minutes. An announcement had been made over the public address system to highlight the issue – which was greeted by more jeers from some home supporters.
Afterwards, Kean posted a message on Instagram with a photo of his celebration and a caption which read: “The best way to respond to racism #notoracism”.
Bonucci though afterwards suggested Kean could have opted for another way to handle the unsavoury atmosphere at the Sardegna Arena.
“Kean knows that when he scores a goal, he has to focus on celebrating with his teammates. He knows he could’ve done something differently too,” Bonucci told Sky Sport Italia.
“There were racist jeers after the goal, Blaise heard it and was angered. I think the blame is 50-50, because Moise shouldn’t have done that and the Curva (Cagliari’s ‘ultra’ fans) should not have reacted that way.
“We are professionals, we have to set the example and not provoke anyone.”
Those comments prompting Sterling’s response on Instagram.
“The blame is 50-50 @Bonuccileo19.
“All you can do now is laugh.”
Raheem Sterling's latest Instagram story, following Leonardo Bonucci's comments last night… pic.twitter.com/UIYojxGuBr
— Goal (@goal) April 3, 2019
Juventus manager Massimiliano Allegri also felt Kean should not have responded to racist chants from the home stands with his goal celebration at Cagliari – but called for the “idiots” responsible to be handed lifetime bans.
The incidents followed on from England players being subjected to racist abuse during their Euro 2020 qualifier in Montenegro.
Earlier on Tuesday, UEFA president Aleksander Ceferin insisted referees would be told to be “brave” and halt matches to stamp out such abuse from “loud, aggressive and primitive” people.
Kean, whose goal added to Bonucci’s towering header in the 22nd minute, was handed a start by Allegri at the Sardegna Arena.
The Juventus manager, though, expressed the need for calm heads, despite all of the provocations from the stands.
“He shouldn’t have celebrated in that manner,” Allegri said afterwards in a press conference reported by the club.
“He is a young man and he has to learn, but certain things from the crowd also shouldn’t be heard.”
In his post-match comments to broadcaster Sky Sport Italia, Allegri turned his attention to the need for the football authorities to tackle the “idiots” head on.
“You need great intelligence to deal with these situations and should not go to provoke people. That, of course, does not mean the idiots in the crowd and the way they reacted should be justified,” the Juventus boss said.
“As always in life, there are idiots who do stupid things and ruin it for everyone else.
“I don’t think talking about it all the time helps. I don’t think halting play helps, because not everyone in the stadium did that.
“We need to use the cameras, find those who are doing it and punish them. It’s very simple, identify them and not one-year ban or two, just give them a lifetime ban.
“We’ve got the technology, it can be done if the authorities want to. The problem is, they don’t really want to.”