‘Disgusted’ Bruce comes clean on row; says hunt for Newcastle mole is on

Date published: Friday 5th March 2021 11:01 - Matthew Briggs

Steve Bruce TEAMtalk

Newcastle head coach Steve Bruce has confirmed he had a training ground row with midfielder Matt Ritchie and says the club are trying to find the mole in the camp.

A report this week claimed that the pair had clashed in the wake of Saturday’s 1-1 Premier League draw with Wolves and the 60-year-old has revealed that there was a heated exchange, but that the matter is now resolved.

Speaking at his pre-match press conference ahead of Sunday’s crucial trip to West Brom, Bruce said: “Look, there’s no denying that I’ve had a row with Matt Ritchie, but let me tell you that happens up and down training grounds every other week.

“You’re dealing with 25 men, emotions run high, fiercely competitive – these things happen unfortunately, and unfortunately for us with Newcastle, of course it gets blown to all sort of proportions.

 

 

“Matty apologised. As far as we’re concerned and me personally, it’s over.

“It happens, but ours leaks into the media and causes a frenzy and with a big game coming up we could do without it.

“As far as I’m concerned it’s over and we get on with it.

Darlow leak

Bruce was also asked how the Karl Darlow story hit the papers two days before the player himself knew he had been axed.

The Telegraph’s Luke Edwards, who reported the story, has though revealed the Newcastle boss was not his source. Darlow was axed for the game with Wolves and the papers had it before the stopper had even been told by Bruce.

Bruce said: “I will have to say the story about Darlow that I’d go to a newspaper with an exclusive I find totally disgusting.

“If I thought I’d do that I’d resign tomorrow.

“It’s certainly not true, it’s unfair on Karl and arguably over the last 18 months that has been the most difficult decision to make.

“Yes it is true I had a row or argument with a player, the rest of it is total nonsense.

“We have to draw a line under it and move on.”

Bruce went on to address the leaks at the club which have resulted in national and local back page headlines.

Bruce said: “There is a source feeding stuff.

“It is the most disappointing thing. We are looking into to it to find the culprit. At other clubs it does not happen.”

When asked whether it was coming from an insider, Bruce added: “It has to be. That is the biggest disappointment that it, unfortunately, happens too often.

“We will try to look to see who it is.”

READ MORE: Bruce points to history in rallying cry for Newcastle survival ‘challenge’

 

Related Articles

HAVE YOUR SAY IN OUR FORUM