€150m Man Utd, Chelsea target ‘recommended to Barcelona’ by current star

Date published: Thursday 7th October 2021 7:20 - James Holland

Darwin Nunez Benfica

Luis Suarez has revealed that he recommended a player worth €150million (£127m) to Barcelona before Man Utd and Chelsea became interested.

The centre-forward spent six years at Camp Nou after joining from Liverpool in July 2014. He formed a deadly bond with the likes of Neymar and Lionel Messi, helping him to register 195 goals in 283 matches.

Suarez won a number of trophies while in Spain. Barcelona were crowned La Liga champions four times between 2014 and 2019. They also added the Champions League trophy to their collection in the 2014-15 campaign, with Suarez scoring in the final.

However, the Uruguayan was allowed to leave in September last year as Barcelona chiefs aimed to usher in a new era.

He had the last laugh as his 21 league goals helped Atletico Madrid to lift the title in 2020/21. In contrast, Barca are in financial ruin and had to let Messi go in August.

Suarez has now spoken about Darwin Nunez, his compatriot and fellow striker. The 22-year-old is one of the hottest properties in Europe right now and has a release clause worth a whopping €150m at Benfica.

Suarez said on Twitch: “I recommended Darwin to Barcelona when he was at Almeria. I have 15 years of international experience. I know a thing or two about forwards.

“And I told them, ‘pay attention to this one, he’s very good, he shows interesting things’. They told me he was at Almeria and that he was too young.

“But instead of paying now €80m, €90m or €100m, they would’ve paid €15m or €20m and have him there as a substitute. A player needs to be empowered.

“But we [supposedly] were the ones who picked players. I never heard a team-mate trying to block a transfer, not Messi, Iniesta, Busquets.”

Man Utd have been scouting Nunez recently. They are thought to be eyeing the starlet as a long-term successor to Cristiano Ronaldo.

Chelsea have a similar idea. Portuguese outlet Record (via Sport Witness) report that the Blues hold an interest in Nunez.

They are constantly looking for the next world-class forward and could launch a bid in 2022. That’s despite them spending £97.5m on Romelu Lukaku earlier this year.


Assessing who will be the next Premier League manager to get the sack


Man Utd face big decision over youngster

Noticias de Álava report that the Red Devils are facing a tough decision on one of their young stars.

Teenager Facundo Pellistri joined Alaves on loan this summer to gain more first-team experience. Big things were expected of him but the winger is yet to live up to the hype.

He has failed to register a single goal or assist in seven La Liga matches so far. Pellistri has lost his place in the team as a result.

Man Utd chiefs are now debating whether to bring him back to Old Trafford in January. They would have to decide whether to loan him out again or keep him in the reserves.

Pellistri originally joined Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s side in October 2020. He arrived for a reported £9m and with plenty of promise.

READ MORE: Scotland starlet opens up about Manchester United transfer talk

Related Articles

HAVE YOUR SAY IN OUR FORUM