Brighton striker Tomer Hemed has vowed to come back stronger from his ‘devastating’ three-match ban after a retrospective violent conduct charge from the Football Association was found proven.
Hemed scored the only goal as the Seagulls beat Newcastle in a Premier League clash at the Amex Stadium on Sunday.
However, the Israeli forward was later involved in a coming together with DeAndre Yedlin and appeared to stamp on the Newcastle defender’s leg.
The FA subsequently charged Hemed with ”an alleged act of violent conduct which was not seen by the match officials but caught on video”.
Despite the Brighton striker contesting the charge, an Independent Regulatory Commission hearing on Wednesday afternoon ruled against him.
As a result of the charge being proven, Brighton must now do without Hemed for Sunday’s trip to Arsenal as well as the games against Everton and West Ham following the international break.
Brighton issued a short statement on the club’s official website confirming the ruling and suspension, adding there would be “no further comment at this stage”.
Hemed, though, also posted a personal message to Seagulls fans via his official Twitter account reacting to the news of the suspension.
“I accept the decision against me but do not agree with it and I am devastated to miss three matches,” the striker said.
“I would never go out to injure a fellow professional on purpose, and those of my friends and team-mates who know me, know that this is not in my nature.
“I will use the time to get fitter, stronger and come back hungrier to score more goals for Brighton in the Premier League.”
The FA had earlier confirmed Hemed’s bid to overturn the charge had been unsuccessful.
“Brighton & Hove Albion’s Tomer Hemed will serve a three-match suspension with immediate effect after a violent conduct charge against him was found proven,” a statement from the governing body read.
“The player was involved in an incident with Newcastle United’s DeAndre Yedlin in the 88th minute of the game on Sunday (September 24 2017), which was not seen by the match officials but caught on video.
“The player denied the charge, however, it was found proven following an Independent Regulatory Commission hearing today (Wednesday 27 September 2017).”
Speaking following his side’s 1-0 victory on Sunday, Brighton boss Chris Hughton had defended Hemed, insisting the stamp on Yedlin was a pure accident.
”I have seen it, and my absolute impression was that there was no intention, particularly knowing the player,” he said.
”My first impression was that there was absolutely no intent. I was unaware of it at the time, and I have just been shown it.”