Liverpool’s reported move for Real Betis defender Aissa Mandi “makes sense” despite claims of initial rejection, according to a reliable source.
The Reds are in the hunt for another centre-back with Dejan Lovren close to sealing a move away. The Croatia international arrived in Russia on Monday ahead of a move to Zenit St Petersburg.
As for replacements, reports have linked Liverpool with Algeria international Mandi, who has one year left on his contract in LaLiga.
The latest speculation claimed that Betis have rejected an initial bid of £9million from Liverpool for the 28-year-old.
According to the Liverpool Echo‘s Paul Gorst, however, the deal could well happen if the Reds are indeed keen.
He said in a Q&A: “[It] will be something I am looking into along with a few other things later today [Tuesday].
“What I would say is it doesn’t feel like a rumour that has no truth to it like a lot of others. Price and profile of the player make sense. Watch this space.”
The earlier report claimed Liverpool could get a deal over the line if they raised their offer to £10.8million.
Meanwhile, beIN Sports journalist Hafid Derradji has claimed that the deal is indeed close.
He wrote on Twitter: “Algerian international Issa Mandi, Spain’s Betis player, is close to signing for Liverpool FC. Little details prevent this so far.”
Mandi played 29 LaLiga games this season as Betis finished 15th in the Spanish top flight.
One report has said Betis would be pulling off a “miracle” if they managed to keep the player at the club.
LIVERPOOL KEEN ON LEFT-BACK COVER?
In other news, further speculation claims Liverpool are considering a move for Norwich left-back Jamal Lewis.
The 22-year-old was a standout performer for the Canaries this season in their disappointing campaign.
According to the latest Paper Talk, the Reds are currently in negotiations with Norwich over a deal.